Question about Gateway Computers & Internet
There's no way to just say Bingo!, here's your only problem...presto! you're fixed. However.... Depending on how long you've been pushing the video card to its limits, here are maintenance actions you can take which may get you back to normal:
1. Get a friend with an air compressor and spray nozzle, set the spray pressure to NO MORE than 40psi and spray out every bit of dust you can.
2. Do not in any way block the intake ports/vents for air coming in.
3. Go online and track down the most recent BIOS for the video card and install it.
4. If you're savy on dis-assembly, open the laptop working from its service manual and remove the heat sinks from both the processor and the video card. Clean the heatsinks and the contact points on the the processor and video card with 99% pure isopropyl alcohol with q-tips. Apply Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Grease to each contact point and reseat the heatsinks and button up the laptop
5. If your laptop still shuts down after that, you're either running a game it just can't handle or your video card is going to be DOA pretty soon and you;ll have to consider replacing it.
Posted on Aug 27, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 11, 2015 | Computers & Internet
Mar 25, 2012 | Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 / 256MB DDR / AGP...
May 13, 2011 | Gateway Computers & Internet
May 24, 2010 | Gateway P-7801u NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo...
Mar 20, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Nov 08, 2009 | XFX NVIDIA GeForce 8500 Graphic Card
Mar 12, 2009 | XFX GeForce FX 5500 Graphic Card
Jun 01, 2008 | Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 Video Card Graphic...
May 02, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Apr 12, 2008 | Quicksilver , Mac ATI RADEON 7000 64MB...
63 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!