Question about Whirlpool MT9160XE Microwave Oven
HI. Your symptoms are a strong indication of Magnetron failure. This is the principal heating device, that is used to produce microwaves that , essentially, excite the water molecules in the food, thus, producing the heating effect. When this device fails, generally, the unit will run, but not heat. This device is very fragile, and can injure you if you are not qualified to handle this type of component. There is a High Voltage Capacitor, that is used to help provide the necessary current for optimal Magnetron operation. This capacitor must be discharged correctly. If not, you could risk serious injury, during the repair, if it is accidental touched.
The Magnetron is linked to a cut-off fuse. If the magnetron becomes unstable, this fuse will shut the device down. It is standard procedure to have this fuse test for continuity. If the fuse has blown, this will be the culprit. Replace the fuse. Now, if the fuse continues to show continuity, this will confirm that the Magnetron has failed. I would advise to inspect the Capacitor, and HV diode for visible burn marks, or swollen top(Cap).
Access can be ac hived to these parts by removing the outside cabinet screws. Once the screws are removed, the cover can be removed, as well. Once the cover is removed, the internal components will be exposed for testing, and visual inspections.
WARNING: IF YOU ARE NOT A QUALIFIED SERVICE TECH, THIS WILL NOT BE A NOVICE DO IT YOURSELF JOB. MICROWAVES ARE VERY DANGEROUS, AND CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY. I RECOMMEND TO CALL FOR SERVICE, IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH HANDLING THE CAPACITOR, OR MAGNETRON.
Posted on Aug 28, 2010
If a user sets up a microwave and turns it on, one would expect it to heat the food in it. If it doesn't, it has probably developed an electrical fault. If everything comes on when it is started, like the light in the cavity and the fan (which one can hear running), and the timer counts down but it doesn't heat, the problem is probably isolated to the high voltage section of the oven.
9 Out of 10 Times when there is no heat and everything else works fine it is the Magnetron. The other 1 from the 9/10 is the HV (High Voltage) Diode that connects to the HV Capacitor.This is the cheaper fix of the two with them being usually under $12. The Magnetron is rather high ranging from approx. $50 and up.If you look on Ebay you generally can find many replacement parts that are in good working order and save some bucks.There are Magnetrons going for $18-25 on average and Diodes for $3-12.If you have a rather loud HUM coming from your micro-it is then generally the Magnetron.IF anyone does get inside their micro PLEASE MAKE SURE TO GROUND OUT&DISCHARGE YOUR CAPACITOR Before doing Anything! You can find the info to do it by searching on the web. There is very much high voltage inside these EVEN AFTER you unplug it and can hurt or kill, please note that.
Posted on Aug 27, 2010
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 30, 2016 | Microwave Ovens
Sep 08, 2017 | GE Microwave Ovens
Dec 11, 2012 | Panasonic NNSN797S Microwave Oven
Sep 09, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Sep 08, 2009 | Emerson Microwave Ovens
Feb 06, 2009 | Goldstar MV-1526 Microwave Oven
Apr 23, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Jul 26, 2007 | GE JVM1860 Microwave Oven
57 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: