this is software problem! you did not state what operating system you use this museum quality printer, as my telepathic powers somehow vane... anyway they work only in hollywood flicks... just generic advise:
open any office document and try to print - if it did not, or print garbage - but still print photos - definitely software problem, which can be exacerbated by printer connection or interface
suggesting hot water - IT PRINT PHOTOS! this meant that this is not physical printhead problem but SOFTWARE INTERFACE! pls do not listen to airheads...
1. remove all cables from the printer including cable connecting to the computer
2. reconnect all cables to the printer except computer
3. try print any photo - printed? printer is ok, maybe cable - interface or computer itself...
4. while computer is on, and printer is on - connect computer to the printer via usb cable (even if you have it on wireless! disable it for the moment), did computer detected it? can you print test page? if yes and yes - you just solved the problem and computer rectified it
1. disable wireless (if present) and disconnect physical cable from computer
2. uninstall drivers pertaining to the printer
3. go to http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_series/pixma_mp610#DriversAndSoftware
and download drivers correct for your printer and operating system (remember the bit which you did not tell on the beginning?)
4. after download - start installation, when prompted, connect usb cable to the printer and the computer
5. print test page - printed correctly? solved the problem... if not, then error will be on ingress port of the printer, or cable or egress port of your computer, you cannot eliminate error on the printer but:
change the cable and change the port on the computer to that which you know is working, for example port where your mouse is connected.
if still no joy - use this printer as local for your photos and buy cheap laser with very, very cheap laser cartridges...
hope this will help you to solve your problem do not forget to vote...