Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: ge spacemaker microwave jvm/1650
Mmmm it's so easy,
First disconect the power, take the cover off, moslitly there would be 5 screws and two tab's on the top.
inside on the right hand side the magnetron it's a sylver box measuring about 4 in x 4 in x 5 in. It will have a plasic cover moslitly that would have to be remove first then on the magnetron there is 4 crews and one connector.
It should fall downard after.
If you have a power supply after the secondary , that may also be your problem.
Posted on Jan 22, 2008
This is a common item. Take the bulb to a home depot and they will match it for you or direct you to a local source.
please mark my answer as a fixya!
Posted on Mar 10, 2009
It was the upper thermostat. I switched with a identical one below to get results, Magnetron seems to be burnt out as well.
Posted on Sep 12, 2009
SOURCE: the GE microwave still runs,
HI. Your symptoms are a strong indication of Magnetron failure. This is the principal heating device, that is used to produce microwaves that , essentially, excite the water molecules in the food, thus, producing the heating effect. When this device fails, generally, the unit will run, but not heat. This device is very fragile, and can injure you if you are not qualified to handle this type of component. There is a High Voltage Capacitor, that is used to help provide the necessary current for optimal Magnetron operation. This capacitor must be discharged correctly. If not, you could risk serious injury, during the repair, if it is accidental touched.
The Magnetron is linked to a cut-off fuse. If the magnetron becomes unstable, this fuse will shut the device down. It is standard procedure to have this fuse test for continuity. If the fuse has blown, this will be the culprit. Replace the fuse. Now, if the fuse continues to show continuity, this will confirm that the Magnetron has failed. I would advise to inspect the Capacitor, and HV diode for visible burn marks, or swollen top(Cap).
Access can be ac hived to these parts by removing the outside cabinet screws. Once the screws are removed, the cover can be removed, as well. Once the cover is removed, the internal components will be exposed for testing, and visual inspections.
WARNING: IF YOU ARE NOT A QUALIFIED SERVICE TECH, THIS WILL NOT BE A NOVICE DO IT YOURSELF JOB. MICROWAVES ARE VERY DANGEROUS, AND CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY. I RECOMMEND TO CALL FOR SERVICE, IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH HANDLING THE CAPACITOR, OR MAGNETRON.
Posted on Aug 31, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 12, 2017 | GE Microwave Ovens
Sep 03, 2012 | GE Microwave Ovens
Apr 09, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
Aug 18, 2017 | GE JE1140 Microwave Oven
Apr 03, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 12, 2010 | GE Advantium SCA2000B Microwave Oven
Oct 05, 2009 | Smeg S43KIT3750EB Microwave Oven
Sep 04, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens
Feb 20, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Dec 17, 2007 | GE JE1660 Microwave Oven
93 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: