Question about Music

1 Answer

Line 6 AX2 212, Are all of the pots 10K Linear ( apart from the volume which is dual ) or are any Log pots? I have changed the pots for linears as I was suffering intermittent problems, the sound is back but the guitar input pot is overdriving the input into distortion, or is it likely there's another problem on the input stage ?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Music Master
  • 5,603 Answers

Given your description of intermittent problems, I would venture an educated guess that the problem was NOT the pots to start with. Usually pots will have a part number and you may find an "A" or a "B" indicating the taper.

Look for a circuit board crack in the vicinity of the guitar input section, especially near the pots. Use a BRIGHT led flashlight from opposite side of the board and inspect all solder joints around the input section.

Line 6 seems to play games with a "guitar sense" line that goes to the DSP so problems with that or a break in the circuit trace could cause the symptom.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Samic guitar amp LA30R. How do I repair the volume control?

First you need to get access to the hardware. Disconnect the speaker wires from the speaker, then unscrew the 4 screws located on the top of the cabinet (one in each corner near the corner guards). Once that is done you should be able to slide the electronics out of the cabinet. How you fix the volume knob really depends on what is wrong with it. If it is scratchy and sporadically responsive, it might just need a good cleaning, which is easy. Otherwise it might need to be replaced, which is less easy, but still easy enough if you are handy.

To clean the knob, you will need to get some electrical contact cleaner (I use Deoxit, but anything designated for this task is good...I wouldn't use WD-40). I remove the potentiometer from the face plate, but you can likely clean it without removing it if you can get at it. Set the nozzle against the tiny hole by the back of the pot and give it a quick spray, then rotate the knob back and forth a bunch of times (like 40). Voila. While you are there, clean all of the pots, as a preventative if nothing else.

If you need to replace the pot, things can get a bit trickier. If you are handy with a soldering iron, desolder the contacts on the back of the pot and replace it with the same type of pot (you can cut it out too, but that gets messy). Take note of any markings on the pot. It will likely say something like A500K...the first letter defines the type of pot (audio vs linear), and the number defines the resistance (500K, in this case). Getting the wrong pot in there can drastically change what you get out of your amp, and probably not in a good way. Solder your new pot in place, then put it all back together.

Make sure you test the amp once you have cleaned/replaced the pot before you screw everything back into place. Hook the speaker back up, power it up, and see what happens. If everything is good, lock it down. If it still isn't working, you may have a bigger issue than the pot, and you should likely take it in to a professional. Good luck!

Aug 29, 2015 | AMP Music

1 Answer

I need to fix a 10 k potentiometer on expression pedal on model yamaha EL100. model number of potentiometrr not known. pl advice which one can fit.

Generically, for this kind of part, search Google images for one that looks the same, check the dia of the thread, usually 6mm (4mm is common) and then all you have to find out is weather the part is linear or log,
If the pedal passes audio it will be log. If it changes a control voltage then it could be either. Measure from end to end and then measure from one end to the wiper. If it is half (roughly) the value halfway round then the pot is linear. if not then it is log.
Try CPC, yes this a very long address!!!'',&filtersHidden=false&appliedHidden=false&autoApply=false&originalQueryURL=%2Fjsp%2Fsearch%2Fbrowse.jsp%3FN%3D411%2B207396%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_CC%26divisionLocale%3Den_CC%26catalogId%3D%26skipManufacturer%3Dfalse%26skipParametricAttributeId%3D%26prevNValues%3D411%2B207396
All the best Chris.

Oct 24, 2014 | Music

1 Answer

I seem to always get a static sound out of my Line 6 Spider Iii below 9 o'clock on the volume knob. Not only is it staticy, but the volume jumps all around and goes from whisper quite 1 second to house...

It sounds like you have a dirty pot (the volume control). Unfortunately the only way to clean the pot is to open the amp up and try to spray some Servisol Super 10 in through the small opening in the pot case.

WARNING: Tube amps contain lethal voltages even when unplugged! If you are not an experienced service engineer then take it to someone who is! It is a pretty common task in guitar amps so shouldn't cost too much.

Sep 10, 2011 | Line 6 Bogner Spider Iii Valve Tube Combo...

1 Answer

HI, I just need the value/taper of the 30mm slide potentiometer used in the equalizer of the Behringer K1800XF.

The sliders in almost all of the EQ's in Behringer are linear taper (B). The values are usually 50K. Fo replacement make sure you get matching mounting spacing. Almost all Behringer pots are made by ALPS.
Note that the rotary volume controls are G (graphic) taper, often 50K and are hard to get. trying to get these from the Behringer parts distributor was futile... gave up after 4 months wait.

Apr 28, 2011 | Behringer Ultratone K1800fx 180w Keyboard...

1 Answer

I am trying to replace a master volume pot from a Line 6 Spider 111 30 practice guitar amplifier and cannot get to the circiutry to identify the pot for replacement?

Typically all the knobs have to come off... the nuts on all the jacks have to go... Sometimes there are small screws through the front that have to be removed... some of these are found around XLR type connectors.

Mar 22, 2011 | Line 6 Spider Iii 30

1 Answer

If I turn up the volume on my Frontman 10g more than 4-5,the amp starts buzzing every time I play the thick strings. Thank you!

You MAY be overdriving the amp. This is a tiny amp and should NOT be played louder than a typical BoomBox or the speaker may be driven too hard, going non-linear and then buzzing.

Mar 19, 2011 | Fender ® Frontman 10G Electric Guitar...

2 Answers

The volume control on my Gorilla GB-30 amplifier crackles when turned, but the actual volume never changes. Will a new control switch fix the problem? Are manuals available?

There likely is another problem, possibly a cracked circuit board or bad solder at the control. If the control worked at all, there would be some change in volume. Take unit in for repair.

Feb 08, 2011 | Music

1 Answer

Dirty high switch on a Crate practice amp

NEVER use switch cleaner such as DeOxit on pots !!!!!

I have used CRC226 available at Home Depot electrical dept.

I SUSPECT that the resistance element in that pot is cracked. This is common if the knob sustained a hit. Replacing the pot is the only cure if the element is cracked.

Reviewing the schematic, ALL audio passes through the wiper on the HIGH tone pots. If the wiper is intermittent, so will be the sound.

If your unit is solid state amp, the pot looks like a 10K ohm LINEAR taper.
If you have a tube type, then the pot is a 250K ohm LINEAR.

Note that the other tone pots in the units are AUDIO tapers, but the high is a linear taper.

Get repair parts from either or

Mar 23, 2010 | Crate Music

1 Answer

I'm missing the volume pot and dont know which one to buy. Its a champion 30 dsp fender guitar amp. Thanks

There are two volume controls. One is "drive volume" the other just "volume"

The plain volume control is a 50K ohm, linear taper.(A) old marking

The Drive volume is a 100K ohm Log taper.(C) old marking

Find suitablel parts at or or find a Febder repair center to order the part.

From other than Fender, You may have to shorten the shaft with a hacksaw to match your needs.

Jan 10, 2010 | Fender Fm25dsp 1x10' Guitar Combo...

1 Answer

Volume control pot is bad. Tagged VR1 on PC

Before you replace the pot, try cleaning it. Use electrical contact cleaner such as:

- CRC QD Electrical Contact Cleaner (available at many auto supply stores) -
- Caig DeoxIT (available at Radio Shack and electronics supply stores) -

Spray the cleaner liberally in the pot (spray where the shaft meets the pot, and if possible, into any holes on the back of the pot), and rotate the shaft repeatedly. Repeat several times.

If the pot is still intermittent, it can be replaced, but you need to replace it with a compatible part, and the job will require some soldering skills to prevent damaging the rest of the circuit.

Make sure you get an appropriate replacement. You need a replacement pot with the correct resistance (measured in ohms) and taper (linear or analog). Typically, the value of the pot is marked on the back, and will read something like "103A" or "10K - B". 103 or 10K indicate the resistance in ohms, and "A" or "B" indicate whether it is linear or audio, respectively.

Your best bet is to desolder the part and take it to a local electronics store for a replacement. If no store is available locally, replacements can be ordered from online stores such as:


Feel free to post the numbers on the back of the pot if you need help locating an appropriate replacement.

(Note that the convention for labeling taper has changed over time - getting the wrong taper should not damage the equipment, but will probably result in the volume control to seem "not smooth.")

Nov 02, 2009 | Boss Music

Not finding what you are looking for?
Music Logo

Related Topics:

431 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Music Experts

Michial Gueffroy

Level 3 Expert

1138 Answers

Vito Vacirca Jr.

Level 2 Expert

140 Answers


Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

Are you a Music Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides