Question about Kenmore Microwave Ovens
A microwave can be dead
for many reasons.
It may be the fuse, which is usually located behind the grille, on the floor of the oven behind the control panel, between the door switches, or on the filter board near where the cord comes into the unit.
If the fuse is good, it may be an open thermostat or thermal cutout (TCO) / thermal fuse on or near the magnetron or on top of the cavity / body of the oven.
If it goes dead for a while during or after cooking then comes back on, the magnetron is probably overheating and causing the magnetron thermostat to open.
Then when it cools, it closes the circuit and allows power through again.
When checking TCOs or thermostats, if it has a hood fan thermostat, that should read open, as opposed to the others, which should read closed.
So don't let that fool you.
If the cavity thermostat needs to be checked or replaced you'll need to pull the oven from the wall.
If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it went dead several seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.
If it goes dead or blows the breaker (or GFI) when you plug it in or open or close the door, then there's a problem with a door switch or door switch mount.
If it's intermittent or random, it may be a bad connection, usually on the control board or a loose fuse holder, or even an intermittent fuse.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
Also, we do control circuit board repairs for $39.95 in most cases, and usually it;s only $25 more when we have to replace the low voltage transformer due to a surge.
So if your board was only $56, and your board was bad, it was an economical decision.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Aug 23, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 17, 2007 | GE JE1540 Microwave Oven
Apr 21, 2012 | Magic Chef Microwave Ovens
May 05, 2017 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 09, 2010 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Jul 27, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Jul 27, 2008 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven
Oct 25, 2007 | Panasonic NN-T888S Convection/Microwave...
Nov 16, 2006 | Samsung MW5351G Microwave Oven
Nov 05, 2017 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens
114 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!