Question about Garden
Your best option is clicking here and finding the correct linkage assembly. MTD makes there mowers from so many different sources, it is almost impossible to isolate an exact model number and match a component.
Posted on Aug 21, 2010
Tools you'll need include a box wrench set; hammer; pipe wrench; nut driver; screwdriver; flywheel puller; match book; the replacement parts.
1. Remove the engine cover and flywheel.
2. Remove the screen that covers the flywheel.
3. Remove the clutch assembly and the flywheel.
4. With the clutch off (if unit has one) you will see the flywheel key in the crankshaft. If the key is bent, you can just replace the key; the points/ condenser may be okay. It not, continue on:
5. Remove the flywheel. You can buy a "puller" for this. It is a block of metal that is inserted over the top of the crankshaft. You tap the "puller" with a hammer, which pops the flywheel off the crankshaft. Do not pry up on the flywheel; it is pot metal and will break.
6. Lift off the flywheel. Under it you will see a small metal covering. Unscrew the covering to expose the points and the condenser.
7. Remove the condenser clamp and condenser. Install the new condenser and lightly clamp it in place. Two tiny wires are slipped into a hole in the condenser; a spring holds the wires under tension. There is a plastic tool in the kit to hold back the spring tension while the wires are threaded into the hole.
8. Remove the moving point. As the slotless screw is removed the spring and point will lift off.
9. Install the new moving point. Fasten the spring to the arm of the point and the spring post. Then move the condenser forward so it touches the tip of the moving point. Turn the crankshaft via the blade until the moving point opens to its widest gap.
Posted on Aug 20, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 31, 2017 | Garden
May 21, 2016 | Mtd Garden
Aug 03, 2015 | Garden
Feb 17, 2015 | Mtd Garden
May 20, 2014 | Garden
May 20, 2014 | Garden
May 13, 2012 | Mtd Garden
Oct 19, 2010 | Garden
Jul 20, 2009 | Garden
Sep 23, 2017 | Garden
358 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!