Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Again, people assume because it is blinking red that it is the "YLOD", better known as a hardware failure.
"When the power status light flashes red after using the PS3 system for 3 or more minutes and shuts off, the PS3 system has possibly over heated. This may be caused by poor ventilation or the vents may be blocked."
"If this happens:
• Check to see if the vents are blocked. If the vents are dusty, vacuum the vents to remove the dust.
• If the PS3 system is in an enclosed area like a bookshelf or entertainment center, move it to a more open area.
• Leave the PS3 system off for 30 minutes to let it cool down.
• If you continue to have issues, you will have to send the system in for service."
You can also try the steps below. Its from PlayStation Forum:
1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
The current Recovery Menu supports:
• Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
• Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
• Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
• Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
• Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
• System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
If the above steps still does not solve the problem, then I think will have to update your Ps3.
Update your PS3 (in the settings menu the 1st option).
Go on the internet browser on the PS3 then go on the menu press triangle then on one of them there are delete cookies and the delete the others as
well as cookies.
You could also try this as well: put the PS3 on then press the eject button (with no disc in) then hold it and switch the PS3 off at the back with
your finger on the eject button still holding it, then put it back on and the fan test should be working this may cool it down. It might be over heating.
But if your problem is not still solved, then maybe you should call sony for further assistance.
Posted on Aug 20, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 15, 2013 | Video Game Consoles & Games
Sep 07, 2011 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Mar 30, 2011 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Oct 13, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jul 26, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
May 31, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Apr 14, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jul 31, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Feb 17, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
1,138 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!