Question about Briggs & Stratton Garden
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
The problem most likely is the shaft on which the interlock slides back and forth on inside the transmission. The yardmachines have a continous spinning shaft which ends in a bevel gear. The is an interlock plate which is connected to the Forward Reverse shift lever, this plate slides back and forth and either engages the forward gear or the backward gear. This shaft is most likely galled up, preventing everything from sliding the way it needs to. This is not a difficult thing to fix if you are somewhat mechanical. Disassemble the transmission and check if everything slides
Posted on Jun 01, 2009
You should be able to remove the old one with a screw driver or needle nose pliers. The new one should have a new gasket with it.
Posted on Jun 19, 2009
The 'DIPLOMAT' series of WEBBs is bad news, its NOT a WEBB! Webb were swallowed by qualcast-atco-suffolk, who dunped Webbs tooling, & dressed up punches & commodores in thin disguises, dumped the briggs & stratten engine for their own alloy job, & charged a rip off premium for the Webb decals!
The qualcast suffolk alloy engine suffers from a WIPAC electronic ignition unit. As it gets old, it fails, sometimes completely, sometimes as it warms up. Once cool, it works for a while again.
Not too hard to replace, but hard on the wallet, £69 genuine, £40 fake! On the whole its not too bad an engine if cared for & oil changed often. better to look on ebay for a cheap used HONDA engine & transplant! R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E !............I did! ( £35 honda gc series, 5,5hp! )
Posted on Apr 02, 2010
Testimonial: "Thanks very useful information.....Many Thanks"
Several questions here...
1. Is the oil serviced to the full mark?
The oil level sensor can cause a no spark condition because it grounds the ignition.
2. Is there spark at the spark plug? You can remove the spark plug and test for spark but if the plug is internally grounded it will show spark when removed but if it is installed it can still be defective. (Spark Plugs are cheap replace it)
3. Is the handle safety cable loose even when depressed? A bad safety cable or an improper cable adjustment can also cause a lack of spark.
4. Do you note gas on the spark plug or is it very dry? If the spark plug is dry try adding a splash of gas into the cylinder via the spark plug hole and see if you get a temporary / momentary start. If you do then you have either a fuel supply or carb problem.
Make sure the fuel selector is in the ON position.
5. If you suspect a fuel problem disconnect the tank feed line to the carb and see if there is fuel flow from the tank, No fuel flow no start.... then problem in the gas tank or supply line.
I will post this as a solution but will watch for any responses and continue to assist you if needed.
Thanks for using FixYa.
Posted on Jun 17, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 02, 2013 | Garden
Sep 29, 2011 | Yard Machines 158cc Push Lawn Mower #11a...
Jul 30, 2011 | Mtd Yard - Man 160cc, 21" Self - Propelled...
Jun 30, 2011 | Yard Machines 155 Torque Briggs Stratton...
May 02, 2011 | Yard Machines 158cc Push Lawn Mower #11a...
Aug 29, 2010 | Yard Machines 155 Torque Briggs Stratton...
May 06, 2010 | Yard Machines 158cc Push Lawn Mower #11a...
Jun 13, 2009 | Garden
49 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: