Question about Computers & Internet
It looks like a corrupt driver.
Doing a "clean boot" may resolve the symptoms you are experiencing. Booting clean is a way to eliminate programs from conflicting with installation of software.
First, download the latest version of the driver for your OS from the manufacturer's website.
The following is the procedure for a 'clean boot'. I am assuming that you have XP. If you have a different OS, just let me know and I will send you the appropriate procedure to boot clean in that OS.
1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
6. Click on the Services tab
7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
6. Click OK
7. Click Restart
After restarting, install the downloaded driver. Next, do the following:
1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
2. Replace checkmarks in the items that you previously removed them from.
3. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
4. Click OK
5. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer
Hope that helps! Should you have any further questions, please feel free to post them here.
P.S. - If you find that the solution/answer I provided led you to, or resulted in a fix, please close the ticket with a FixYa! rating. I would be very grateful for your show of appreciation.
If it hasn’t, please do not assign a rating just yet. Please post back as to what steps you took, results, etc, and I will try to assist you further as best I can. I am here at your service.
Thank you for using FIXYA!
Posted on May 02, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 01, 2012 | Dell OptiPlex GX620 PC Desktop
Sep 17, 2011 | Dell Dimension 4500 PC Desktop
Aug 22, 2011 | Dell XPS 410 PC Desktop
Mar 30, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Nov 08, 2009 | Dell OptiPlex GX260 PC Desktop
Apr 20, 2009 | Dell Computers & Internet
Mar 27, 2009 | Dell Dimension 2350 PC Desktop
Mar 15, 2008 | Computers & Internet
80 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!