My amp just stopped working it keeps blowing the 100 amp fuse in my main power wire every tome i turn it on, theleds blink faintly and the amp makes a cliking sound, so i opened it up and really checked it over i seen nothing to lead me to beleive that its blown,would you have any ideas?
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The fuse is blowing due to an overload. It's often and very likely caused by a transistor or ic that has gone short. The main culprits are the power transistors of the amp or whatever is on the big heat sink. Transistors will show the fault when you connect an ohmmeter to the terminals. It will be just like you have touched the test prods together! I don't think in your case it will be in the power supply. It's often caused by speaker cables that touch together.
Usually that fuse powers the alternator and the fuse box. It would have to be a big short to ground to blow that fuse. Its possible the main wire to the alternator is touching a metal spot, or the alternator is shorting out inside when it is running. What is draining the battery may be something else, or the battery could be discharging after the fuse blows if the alternator is not charging it.
When the fuses blow like that suspect an overload in either the power supply or main amp stages. I think you might have damaged one or more of the output devices. They can develop faults quick if you're using the wrong type speakers or have faulty wiring to them. The main cause of fuse blowing is a semi-conductor device that is acting like it is a piece of wire. For instance an output transistor when connected to a multi-meter on the ohm scale, will show a full scale deflection, just like if you had touch the two test probes together.
First off which fuse is it? The inline fuse from the battery or the amplifiers power supply fuse? Blowing the main fuse from the battery is caused by either the load (your amp) drawing too much current or you have a short to ground somewhere. Maybe there is a tear in the 12Vdc line and it is shorting to the chassis of your car. If the amps power supply fuse is blowing as soon as it turns on your amp has a shorted power supply. This will require internal component changes by a technician. If it is blowing after operation at high volumes I would say change the impedance that the amp is driving. If you are at 2 ohm try to rewire your speakers for four ohm. (go from parallel to series wiring then bridge mono or operate the amp in stereo mode)
You do not say if the fuse blows immediately upon powering up or while the amplifier is operating. If it blows immediately, I'd check the power and ground.
If it is blowing the fuse while operating, I'd try a 30A and see if it holds. At maximum output of 100 watts times 4, the amplifier needs about 31 amps of current at 12.8V. So driving it hard could certainly blow a 25A fuse.
It would be very dangerous to bypass a fuse. If it keeps blowing, bypassing the fuse will only create lots of internal damage and maybe a fire as well. The fuse is blowing for a reason, the amplifier is not going to somehow start working because you bypassed the fuse. You also need to stop trying to turn it on, every time it blows the fuse, it keeps stressing the components inside. You have a shorted power supply, probably water damage as well since the power wire got wet.
I repair car amplifiers for a living, and can tell you with all honesty that bypassing the fuse would be a terrible mistake to make, the amplifier would end up being un-fixable with holes burned right into the board.
Please, just take it in for service or get a new amplifier. That is the only sensible thing to do. The amp will not start working bypassing the fuse, it will only start smoking.
Since it's an intermittant problem and a relatively expensive amplifier, you should have it checked by a qualified tech. If you keep trying to power it up, it will eventually blow out the power supply transistors which will add as much as $100 to the repair bill.