SONY KIDNEY BEAN MP3 PLAYER WET and Dead
The main point is to act quickly, not to give the chemicals time to react. The longer you leave it before you did all you could, the more time you gave corrusion and other such reactions to take place.
in any case of dropping into liquid follow these steps:
Remove the battery immediately; rinse in distilled water. Why? Distilled water isn't ionised and has a high breakdown dielectric; ordinary tap water is ionised and conductive.
leave it in your airing cupboard for a week to dry (if there's any sign of damp anywhere, just put it back in the cupboard for another week). Reattach battery. If it doesn't appear to malfunction (bear in mind the battery may be flat), try putting it on the charger. If it appears to charge (and holds the charge), and still works, you've probably got away with it.
If dropped into a soft or sweet drink rinse more thoroughly in distilled water before drying. Carbonated, sugared drinks and hot, sweet coffee are the worst. You may be lucky if it survives.
If the liquid is greasy (e.g. coffee with cream, soup etc.) You can use a mix of iso-propyl alcohol and water. IT types use it to clean computers. The water dissolves all the water soluble sugar etc. and the IPA dissolves the grease.
A word of advice for the future: leather cases (the ones with leather, not elastic, sides) are your friend. They can protect from splashes and even brief immersion.
May 18, 2006 |
Sony Bean MP3 Player