Whenever my laptop is plugged in (NOT EVEN FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME) the power cord adaptor (the part that attaches to the computer) the plastic that touches the metal portion inside the computer itself, melts, you smell burning plastic and the laptop stops thinking its plugged in...
Is the power adaptor made for the country you are living in? It's possible the plug you are plugging it into has a higher current than the plug was certified for. Have you tried plugging the laptop in in another location (like, in a different building)? You may just need to replace the adaptor, how old is it?
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1st : you can check from the power cable charge
2nd : check the adaptor charger if there is a light indicator or not, or you can check with multimeter to check the voltage on charger adaptor, does show the proper voltage for your laptop, you can check at the end of the connection that leads to the laptop.
note : Remember use DC current at Multimeter
3rd : if the adaptor running well, just plug on the adaptor charger to the laptop, dont turn on the laptop power, just see the light indicator with battery / lightning image on laptop, its explained that there is or is not the power current running to the laptop.
3rd.A : if its no power goes to the laptop then your adaptor charger is failed
3rd.B : if is there, there must be a problem with your motherboard, section power / power plugs, why do not want to charge with a new battery.
- if the problem on number 1 & 2, then you can change the power cord and the adaptor charger.
- if there is problem on the 3rd.B then you can go to the toshiba services center for your problem.
Step 1: If your laptop charger seems broken, it's most likely because the battery will not charge. You plug in the cord, the lights come on, but the charging light doesn't change or blinks repeatedly. When you remove the power cord, the laptop shuts off instantly due to the depleted battery. There's more than one cause for this, and it's not always a broken charger.
Check the connection between the charger and the laptop. It should fit firmly in the DC jack without wiggling. If it is loose, use electrical tape to hold it in place so the charger can receive power. This is a temporary fix, however, because a faulty connection can create sparks and cause a fire or injury. A loose connection will just get worse over time, so have it sent to a DC jack specialist as soon as possible. Turn off the laptop and flip it upside down. Locate the latch that secures the battery and slide open. The battery should pop out; give it a tug if it doesn't. Apply a small amount of rubbing alcohol (Methylated Spirits)to the tip of a cotton swab and use it to clean the battery's connectors. Dirt can build up and interfere with the connection, giving the appearance of a broken charger. Let the alcohol dry completely and re-insert the battery. Slide the latch to secure it and plug in the power cord to test it. See if the laptop powers on with the charger only and battery removed. If it does, the battery is the likely culprit and should be replaced. If the charger is truly broken, the only thing to do is to replace it or the power cord attached to it. Look on the bottom and write down the part number. Call the laptop manufacturer for a replacement charger or search for the part number on eBay. If you purchase from anyone other than the original manufacturer, ask for genuine parts to reduce the possibility of problems. Troubleshoot Mag Safe adaptors http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713
Try another Cord/charger first.( Beware of Cheap aftermarket cord/chargers/transformers!) The ticking , where is it comming from? Can you locate the origin of the ticking? The HDD, when it's bad, will try to spin-up and you will here a clicking/ticking. If the ticking is coming from the Cord/charger/transformer replace. I bought a spare, universal with plug adapters, for $50.00. Bad charger/transformers CAN be a fire hazzard, if left plug in unattended. Always unplug laptop when unattended, that is if you don't already.
A common weak spot on most laptops is the DC power jack. If someone trips on the wire while you have the power adaptor plugged into your laptop, chances are that the power jack will get damaged.
On most laptops the DC power jack is soldered directly to the motherboard and there are only three or four small pins holding it in place. Unfortunately that makes the power jack quite weak. Any sideways pulling of the DC power cord while attached to the laptop will usually dislodge at least one of these pins, breaking the solder around it. Modern laptops use quite a lot of power, from about 70W to 120W or even more. The bad electrical connection from the dislodged pin will cause sparks and heating that will eventually burn a hole through the motherboard and can even be a fire hazard.
The usual signs of that are:
The battery is not charging properly or stays at half charge despite that you have been using the power adaptor.
The screen flickers (the brightness is changing) while the power cord is plugged in. This is caused by the laptop switching between DC power (screen is brighter) and battery power (screen is dimmer).
The DC plug gets hot after a few minutes of use and may even smell of burning.
There are "scratching" sounds coming from the DC jack.
You need to take the unit apart and check/resolder the DC jack on the system board.
If I could be of further assistance, let me know. If this helps or solves the issue, please rate it and give a testimonial for my response
yes it is possible, but the power adaptor itself could also be at blame. i suggest trying it in another laptop, or any device that uses the same power ratings as the adaptor, or even trying a different adaptor altogether on your notebook?
Keep in mind since you cleaned it out, only have the AC adaptor hooked up to rule the battery out. If the laptop stays on with only the ac adaptor hooked up and doesn't shut off then you know that the battery is faulty. If it still shuts off even with just the ac adaptor hooked up then it could be the ac adaptor.
Also check one more thing, with only the ac adaptor hooked up, wiggle the cord where it plugs into the laptop and see if the laptop shuts off, if it does then the dc jack on the motherboard is loose and needs to be resoldered back into place so it stays put.
The three likeliest candidates are battery, A/C adaptor and laptop power socket.
Battery ? Batteries typically last between 1.5 to 4 years, depending on design and use. They are not safely repairable by users or most computer shops despite what you may read. If you remove the battery from the laptop and can run just off the A/C adaptor then the battery is probably the cause. The next test would be to use the battery in another laptop to see if the same problem occurs there. If it does then the battery is defective and needs to be replaced. If the battery does work then it?s likely the charging circuitry in the laptop itself is defective.
A/C adaptor - Even though the green LED on the adaptor is on it can still be the cause of your problem. Inspect the cord, especially the jack that plugs into the laptop. The jack typically takes a lot of abuse and it?s common for the cord to be damaged at the base of the laptop jack itself. Often the damage isn?t visible; however, wiggling the wire at the base of the jack can cause the laptop charging LED to come on and off. The only way to truly test the adaptor is to measure the voltage coming out of the jack under a load. The last part is very important; simply measuring the voltage with a meter does not accurately test the adaptor. An easier alternative if you have the option is plugging a working adaptor into your laptop.
Laptop power socket - Most times when the power socket in the laptop goes it?s due to a broken solder joint or a broken socket. Inserting the A/C adaptor jack in the socket and wiggling it back and forth can often cause the charging LED on the laptop to turn on and off. If that happens then the socket or the board it connects to needs to be replaced. That requires a major disassembly and is usually beyond the typical user.
Let us know if you have any more questions and please don?t forget to rate this posting.