ALPS Printer MD1000 Driver
Several things about these printers.......
1. Do NOT use the MS XP driver for these - it has limited functionality. Download the Alps driver, which you can find in the files section at the Alps YahooGroup (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Alps/files/)
2. The printer requires bi-directional comms in order to feed back the printer status to the computer. While this is not an absolute requirement, it means that without bi-dir comms, the error light will flash, and you won't know what the problem is.
3. The driver is hardcoded to only communicate bi-directionaly with Alps virtual LPT ports - run this with a non-Alps cable (And all of the cables on FleaBay are non-Alps), and you will not be able to monitor the printer status.
Now, how to install.....
1. Plug in the USB cable to the computer (But not the printer), and let it install. Reboot if required (Unlikely)
2. Install the Alps driver you downloaded fron the Alps YahooGroup. Reboot if required. If you now look at Printers in Control Panel, you will see a nice Alps printer there, waiting to be used. Make a note of what it named.
3. Plug in the printer and turn it on. XP will now tell you it has found new hardware, and install the MS driver. Reboot if required
4. Go back to Printers in Control Panel. You will now see you have TWO Alps printers! The MS driver will be called something like "Alps MD-1000 (MS)". Rename (DON'T delete!) this driver to something like "Alps MD-1000 (DO NOT USE)". If you delete it, it will come back to haunt you every time you switch on the printer, and screw up your settings.
5. Open the properties page of the driver you made a note of in step 2 (Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes -> right click on printer, and select "Properties"), and click on the "Ports" tab.
6. Check the checkbox next to the port created for your USB-// cable, and uncheck the other box that will be checked.
7. Uncheck "Enable bidirectional support"
8. Click on the "Advanced" tab
9. Select the "Print directly to the printer" radio button
10. Click on the "Print Processor" button
11. Select ALMD224S as the Print processor and select RAW(FF AUTO) as the Default data type
12. Click Apply.
Sep 23, 2007 |
Alps MD 1000 Thermal Printer