Question about Microwave Ovens
We see (and repair) this a lot. The problem is on the control panel, which we regularly repair nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid.
This light failure often occurs when a bulb goes out and the filament shorts, or when the bulbs are removed or installed without first unplugging the oven from the power line. Either can cause such a failure on the controller.
This can often also affect the exhaust fan operation, too. The lights and fan can be inoperable or stuck on too.
Details of our service and critical safety information and disassembly information is at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
William E. Miller, AS-EET
Posted on Apr 27, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 28, 2016 | In Microwave Ovens
Feb 11, 2015 | Maytag MMV1164WB Microwave Oven
Jan 21, 2015 | Samsung 2.0 cu ft Over-the-Range Microwave...
Jan 13, 2014 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Dec 09, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Hello - This may or may not be specifically for your model, however these are generics instructions that I found.
To replace the light bulb to the over the range microwave you will need to follow the steps below:
1. To replace light bulb, first disconnect power to the microwave oven at the circuit breaker panel or by unplugging.
2. Remove the vent grill mounting screws.
3. Pull the vent grill away from the unit.
4. Remove the charcoal filter by pushing it inwards, then turn and pull it away from the unit.
5. Open light cover located behind filter mounting by carefully pulling up on the front edge.
6. Remove old light bulb and replace only with equivalent 30 watt bulb available from part distributor. Bulbs are also available at most hardware stores or lighting centers.
7. Replacing the microwave oven light cover by carefully pushing into place. Replace the charcoal filter. Push the vent grill back into place (engaging both the bottom and top tabs) and replace the vent grill mounting screws.
Note: DO NOT USE BULB LARGER THAN 30 WATTS.
Oct 27, 2012 | Frigidaire FMV152K Microwave Oven
Jan 02, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Sep 16, 2009 | Frigidaire FMV156EM Microwave Oven
Sep 06, 2009 | GE JVM1790 1000 Watts Convection /...
Jan 10, 2009 | GE JVM1870 Microwave Oven
36 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!