Question about Western Digital My Book Essential Edition (WDG1U5000N) 500 GB Hard Drive
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Try using a Usb 2 cable "The one that came with the WD My Passport " And put it directly to the PC...
In some cases, Like mine, I used an extended cable + the cable that came with the "WD My Passport" and i got the same problem ..
So i simply removed the extended cable and put the put "WD My Passport " directly to the PC with its own cable and the problem was solved to me ..
Posted on Feb 24, 2009
One or more of the hints below will probably sort out most USB problems with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly. 5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
6. For FLASH DRIVES you should ensure that the device is set for "quick removal" using the drive control panel properties or use the USB "Safely Remove Hardware" option. If you dont do this there is a very strong chance that any files you transfer may not be there when you plug into another computer.
7. It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
You should also do this to cheack the drives connections are not bad inside the enclosure.
8. If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
9. If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
10. ensure that you have set removable drives for "quick removal" or that you use the "Safly Remove Hardware" option often shown on the lower toolbar.It is possible that files my not be fully written to external devices before they are removed. This corrupts the file itself and even on occasion the drive.
Posted on Nov 17, 2009
SOURCE: how to reset password for
Follow this link and download ATAPWD 1.2 to recover your password: http://win7dl.com/download/download+ATAPWD+1.2+Hard+Disk+Password+Utility.html
Posted on Nov 19, 2010
Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management Then go into Disk Management. Hopefully you will see a drive with a capacity of about 480 GB (plus or minus), that's your disk.
Right click on it and select change drive letter and change the drive letter to something that isn't in use.
If that doesn't work or it doesn't show up, go into the Device Manager from the Computer Management screen and see if there is anything under disk drives with a yellow or red symbol next to it. If so, right click it, select uninstall, then unplug the disk drive and plug it back in.
Posted on Mar 01, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 09, 2014 | Western Digital WD My Passport Essential...
Mar 02, 2014 | Western Digital WD My Passport Essential...
Nov 26, 2011 | Western Digital WD My Passport Essential...
May 11, 2011 | Western Digital My Passport Essential SE...
Mar 16, 2011 | Western Digital WD My Passport Essential...
Feb 27, 2011 | Western Digital WD My Passport Essential...
Jan 28, 2011 | Western Digital My Passport Essential SE...
May 30, 2010 | Western Digital My Passport Essential SE...
97 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: