Need instructins for deluxe smoker
I'm answering this specifically for the Australian-made Wild Country deluxe smoker which comes with two spirit burner trays. i.e. NOT with gas fittings, thermometers, or anything else.
I too have one, and it was also missing any instructions.
I suggest the following:
1. Preparation of fish for smoking.
* scale the fish as required
* either fillet or split fish, along dorsal line and clean (skin on, head and tail removed)
* make sure it is dry, e.g. using paper towels
* spinkle liberally with mix of salt, sugar and oil or fat
* refridgerate until ready
2. Assembly for of deluxe smoker for use.
* fill the main tray with two handfulls of sawdust/wood chips for smoking to depth of a few millimeters.
* place the (flat) drip tray on top of the sawdust, feet down
* place the larger of the two racks on the drip tray
* place the first fillet on this, skin down
* balance the 2nd rack on top of the first
* place the second fillet on this one, again skin down
* put the lid on the main tray
* prepare the burners, by mostly filling them with white spirits or methylated spirits, and positioning inside the rectangular black burner stand.
* light the burners
* put the closed smoker containing fish on top of the burners
* check fish is cooked through after about 15 minutes
* leave it while the fuel burns out (might take 15-20 minutes - you can also leave it there closed until it cools down)
* carefully remove smoking racks with fish
(PS. Or cheat like I do by simply placing the whole smoker on top of a gas BBQ and don't bother with the spirit burners)
Mar 31, 2012 |