Question about Amana Dryers
The model number you provided did not cross reference to anything. I did find the number "NED5240TQ0". If this is your model number, the following steps explain how to replace the belt:
1. UNPLUG the dryer and remove the lint screen.
2. Remove the two screws that were under the lint screen and lift the top panel.
3. Unplug the door switch connector plug and any ground wire that may be installed on the casing.
4. Locate the two screws that hold the front panel in place. There should be one screw on each side in the cabinet interior.
5. With the door shut, lean against the front panel and remove the two screws that hold it in place. Once the screws are removed, grasp the front panel at the top center and lift straight up to remove.
You should now have complete access to the dryer interior. Release the belt tension, by pushing the idler pulley (tensioner) to the right (away from the belt) and remove the old belt from around the drum.
If the belt is broken, this may cause the idler pulley (tensioner) to come loose. This is normal with no tension on the pulley to hold it in place. To install a new belt (if required) and re-install the pulley, follow these steps:
1. Loop the drive belt around the dryer drum with the groove side facing the drum. (Try to line the belt up with the wear marks already on the drum from the previous belt).
2. With the tensioner in your left hand, insert the clip end of the idler pulley into the grooves on the dryer bottom casing with the idler wheel pointing to your left. (The grooves are directly in front of the drive motor.)
3. While holding the tensioner in place, insert the belt UNDER the wheel with your right hand and push the wheel to the RIGHT while pulling the belt over the drive motor pulley.
If this does not explain it well enough, you can also verify by going to repairclinic.com. Click on the Repair Help link and look for the "Dryer Belt Diagrams" link under the Special Features section on the next page. Look for WHIRLPOOL and refer to diagram H (This model Amana is manufactured by Whirlpool).
Replacement parts (if required) can be ordered on line at any of the following websites:
The part number for a replacement belt is 341241. All these sites offer great service with competitive pricing, so shop and compare. The first three sites I have listed also inlcude helpful exploded view diagrams that can help you locate and properly indentify the parts you may need. you can view a diagram of the belt and tensioner under the "Cabinet Parts" section. The belt is listed as item 30 and the tensioner is listed as item 29.
NOTE: If you still have the teflon glide type tensioner, Whirlpool recommends you replace it with a conventional roller type idler pulley. The teflon type tensioners caused premature wear to the drive belt. The part number is 691366.
Once you have the belt installed, re-install the dryer front panel by holding it as you did previously. Line up the holes on the inside bottom edge of the front panel with the small mounting cleats on the front edge of the side panels. This can be done by yourself, but an assist may make it easier. Once you have the front panel in place, lean against it to hold it in place and install the mounting screws.
NOTE: Don't forget to reconnect the grounding wire and door switch connector plug. Without the door switch connected, the dryer will not run. Lower the top panel back in place and reinstall the two screws.
NOTE: Placing a piece of duct tape over the dryer vent chute will help safeguard against dropping anything down in the blower fan assembly. If you drop any screws down the chute, you will need to remove the dryer back panel to retrieve them. If you have any questions about this repair, please post back and let me know. I hope this helps you.
Posted on Aug 04, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 02, 2014 | Maytag PYE2300AY Electric Dryer
Jan 19, 2011 | Whirlpool Dryers
Oct 16, 2010 | Kenmore 63942 Dryer
Feb 11, 2010 | Hotpoint Dryers
Oct 20, 2009 | Dryers
Jul 08, 2009 | Maytag Neptune MDE6700A Electric Dryer
Apr 19, 2009 | Electrolux Dryers
Mar 19, 2009 | GE Dryers
218 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: