Question about Microsoft Word 2003 for PC
Since it sounds like you have the ruler, just not the marks on it, it appears that you are using either print, normal, or web layout view - right? While this seems relatively simplistic, let's try to see what a couple basic things do.
1. Open several different documents and make sure this is happening throughout all of them, so we will know if it is a global problem, or document-specific.
2. Try switching views between print, normal, and web layout to see if they all have the same issue.
3. With your document open, go to View on the menu and clear the check beside Ruler. Then close and reopen a document and put the check back.
4. Check your Options (under Tools) and make sure you don't see anything there that looks off.
5. Make sure you can see the "white space" between pages.
6. If you aren't using / seeing the Vertical ruler, try to see if turning it on makes any difference. Go to Tools > Options and select Vertical Ruler (print view only).
Comment: I would work in Print View if possible for now, to get this resolved.
Question: Does any of this possibly relate to such things as tables, headers/footers, or other "out of the ordinary" circumstances? By "out of the ordinary", I mean to refer to saving files in other formats, converting from other formats, or using such things as columns, charts, graphics, formulas, or tables. Or are we basically just talking about a "plain-vanilla" document - type a straight letter, for example, just wanting the basic functions which include tabs, margins, indentation, and the like?
Finally, one last question - have there been any recent changes on the PC (maybe even apparently unrelated to Word/Office), such as added/removed programs, use of add-ins such as Adobe pdf convertors, etc., which could impact common or shared files or drivers? Has SP3 been installed for Office 2003, and has there been any change in print drivers? Was the file created in Word 2003 or some prior version? (Yes, I realize that's more than one last question, but these all could be possibilities.)
Why do you think there may be a registry problem?
If none of these provides the "solution", we'll get there! Thanks for rating FixYa!
Posted on Apr 26, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 27, 2015 | Microsoft Word 2010
Sep 05, 2010 | Microsoft Office Professional 2007 Full...
Jul 13, 2010 | Microsoft Office Word 2003 for PC
Feb 05, 2010 | Microsoft Office 2003 Small Business...
Jul 07, 2009 | Business & Productivity Software
Apr 09, 2009 | Microsoft Word 2003 for PC
Mar 17, 2009 | Microsoft Word 2000 for PC
Dec 04, 2008 | Microsoft Office 2003 Basic Edition...
Nov 27, 2008 | Microsoft Office 2003 Basic Edition...
103 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Level 3 Expert
Level 3 Expert
Level 3 Expert
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: