Ac shuts off E1 error message
E1 Error Code -->> Clean Filter
Owners of Sharp air conditioner models AF-S60FX, AF-S80FX, AF-S85FX, and AF-R80FX may experience the following (highly annoying) issue. After 720 hours of fan operation, the error code E1 will appear on the seven segment LED temperature display. This error code is intended as a reminder for the user to clean the air filter. However, because the procedure outlined in the user manual does not clear this error code as indicated, and the appliance has a nonvolatile memory that cannot be reset by simply unplugging it, the user of the appliance will become mightily frustrated, standing in potentially sweltering heat watching the appliance repeatedly shut down in the midst of operation with the "E1" display flashing.
Believe it or not, that is what it does: if you unplug it to remove the "E1" code from the display, and plug it back in and re-start it, it will simply run for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours, and then merrily shut down again with the same flashing "E1" code.
Many people at this point, having put the manual under the canary or some such, will simply return the unit and never buy another Sharp air conditioner. But for the tech-savvy and search-adept, I offer the following procedure to clear the nefarious E1 indication, and obtain another 720 hours of cooling bliss:
1. Power down the air conditioner using the "power" button on the front panel.
2. Unplug the air conditioner from the wall socket.
3. Hold the front panel "power" button down and plug the air conditioner in. Continue to hold the power button down as the machine goes through a brief test sequence (fan & compressor each come on briefly, etc). There is a "beep" sound at the end of the test sequence, and the machine will be off. At this point, you can release the power button.
4. Unplug the air conditioner.
5. Plug the air conditioner back in.
6. Congratulations! You should now be able to operate the air conditioner normally for another 720 hours, but only if you followed the instructions above exactly.
If you doubt the veracity of this information, or it does not work as expected, you can get it directly from the source at: 1-800-237-4277 (Sharp customer service line). You'll need to call between 7 AM and 7 PM US Central time, and have your model number and serial number ready.
May 28, 2011 |
Sharp AF-S120FX Air Conditioner