Question about Whirlpool 24.8 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator with Bottom-Mount Freezer - White-on-White
Take off the back panel in the freezer. 1/4" screws. Use a nut driver or ratchet and socket with an extension.
2. Behind the frost is the evaporator and the defrost heaters. One heater in the middle and one at the bottom. They are glass tubes. If you can see the bottom heater that is great. If not use a hair dryer and defrost only the very bottom to expose the lower heater only.
3. Now in the refrigerator section at the top where the controls are, take off the long plastic piece to expose the timer. The timer should be on the right hand side and have a little circle that is slotted. Get a flat screwdriver and turn that timer slowly clockwise just until it clicks and the refrigerator turns off. This will put it into defrost.
4. Now look at that heater that you exposed and see if it glows and gets hot. If it does, then the timer is bad.
5. If the heater doesn't come on then go ahead and defrost the rest of the evaporator with the hair dryer. This will take a little while. Don't poke at the evaporator!!!
6. Once totally defrosted look at both heaters. They should look like clear glass and see a silver coil running thru them. If they look discolored at all then the heaters are bad. The heaters come as a complete assembly with the defrost thermostat which clips onto the evaporator.
7. If the heaters look ok the only way to know for sure if they are bad is to check continuity with a meter on the plug at the end of their wiring harness. If you can check that then you can splice in a new defrost thermostat to solve the problem. However the best thing to do is replace the heaters and defrost thermostat . It is easy to install.
Follow these steps and this will solve your problem.
Posted on Aug 03, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
mine did same thing. What is happening is the Water Line in the freezer door is freezing.
SOLUTION. Leave the freezer door open and turn off the freezer for a night. Be sure to dump out all of your ice cubes too.
In the morning it will work like new. To prevent it from happening again, open the FRIDGE door and use the electronic controls to raise the temperature of the freezer. You had it too cold before...thats why your water line froze in the first place.
Posted on May 02, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 06, 2014 | Samsung 33 in. W 24.7 cu. ft. French Door...
Dec 18, 2012 | LG LSC26905TT Side by Side Refrigerator
Dec 31, 2010 | Kenmore 55612 / 55614 / 5561 / 655619 Side...
Sep 29, 2009 | Maytag MSD2756G Side by Side Refrigerator
May 22, 2009 | Whirlpool 25.6 cu. ft. Side-by-Side...
Sep 21, 2008 | Maytag 25.6 cu. ft. Wide-By-Side...
Sep 11, 2008 | Kenmore 53603 / 53606 Stainless Steel Side...
Dec 31, 2007 | Refrigerators
Dec 05, 2007 | Frigidaire FRS3R5EMB Side by Side...
Feb 15, 2014 | Whirlpool 24.8 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side...
Jan 20, 2014 | Whirlpool 24.8 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side...
72 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: