Question about Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

GE Microwave model # JEB1090WV, blows breaker after hitting start button

Posted by on

2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I'm not an electrician but you might not have the proper amperage on the circuit, or too many other items on the same circuit. Most Microwaves carry a very high wattage and thus pull quite a few amps when they run. If you have your microwave and something else on the same circuit it is possible that the combination of watts trips the breaker.

Posted on Feb 09, 2009

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 8,820 Answers

This is usually caused by either a bad door switch, a loose door switch mount, or a problem on the control panel.

Even though a door switch clicks, it may still be bad inside. Its continuity must be checked.

Door switch or mount trouble can be caused by slamming the door or by opening the door while it's cooking without hitting the Stop pad first.

If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical information on safety, disassembly and door switches at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel, which is very helpful when troubleshooting.

There's also some chance it may be a shorted high voltage capacitor. The mini manual addresses that test and the part link is valid for that too.

If you think the problem is on the control panel, we repair these nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in most cases.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller, AS-EET
prototech@usa.net
http://www.microwavedisplay.com

Posted on Apr 27, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Primary interlock switch


My GE JVM1850 microwave turns on when you open the door and when the door is shut and you try to put in a time and hit start it blows the breaker

Jul 13, 2013 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave won't start when pressing the start botton


call Chas&son,s appliance repair at 579-379-0993 and they will come out the same day no less okay

Feb 13, 2013 | GE JE2160 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave won't start


call Chas&son,s appliance repair at 579-379-0993 and they will come out the same day no less okay

Feb 13, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

It hums then blows the breaker


It is the magnetron which is the heart of the system, not cost effective to repair.

Apr 03, 2012 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I Have a GE Spacemaker over the stove microwave. I think it is 1000 watts. It's 7 years old. Everything works but it doesn't heat anything. There is 23 volts going to the fan unit in the...


HELLO.

Since there is an amount of volts from the outlet, the fault is from the microwave breaker.

The solution is given below.

Reset the microwave breaker.

Take the back cover of the microwave off with a screwdriver.

Inside you will find a motor.

Most microwave motors have a small red reset button on them. Hit that button.

Your microwave should work again if the breaker was the issue.

Thanks

Sep 21, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

As soon as i try to cook anything it blows the breaker, its only 2 years old doesn't start cooking at all just as soon as you hit start the breaker blows my model is a nn-sd297 of course it's 2...


The service manual is here.

You can order parts from Encompass here.

It may be a bad monitor interlock / short switch, or possibly a shorted capacitor or other problem in the inverter.

But I'm surprised the 20A fuse is not blowing before the breaker is!

I hope it's on at least a 30A breaker...

Let me know if I can help further.

Sep 14, 2011 | Panasonic NN-P295SF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a ge profile microwave. When I plug in the microwave, it's fine. As soon as I hit the start button, the microwave blows the HVT fuse. I assumed that it was the diode and the capacitor that were bad....


Another possible option would be to cheak the door micro switches . They can also blow the ceranic fuses.also how did you cheak the magnatron?Did you remove it complet and cheak over the ceramic end area if it was bubled?

May 15, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Randomly blows circuit breaker while not running, only the clock is on.


.
Normally when the circuit breaker blows, it a bad door switch or door switch mount.

If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and
disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
Please write back with more details if you need further help.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 03, 2007 | GE JES1358 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Unit Electrical Problem


If it blows the fuse as soon as you hit the START button, it's almost certainly a shorted high-voltage capacitor.

If it blows a few seconds after you hit the START button, it's probably the high-voltage transformer. You'll possibly also smell a faint electrical burning smell from the rear vent after you shut if off.

Microwave can be very dangerous so it is best to have it looked by a professional

 

Would appreciate a solved rating for expert advise.

Oct 16, 2007 | GE JE1590 Convection / Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE DIDN'T bring good things to life


If the fuse blew as soon as you hit START to begin cooking, chances are you have a shorted high voltage capacitor. If it blew a few seconds after hitting START, then it's more likely to be a defective high voltager transformer. You may notice a buring smell. It's also possible that you have a defective thermostat / thermal cutout on the magnetron (especially if the oven has ever been run empty, arced or sparked, or overheated). In cases where the internal fuse blows, there's usually a cause, even if it's just a loose fuse holder. You can find exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering JVM1190SY here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383 We have *critical* safety and disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

Feb 06, 2007 | GE JVM1190SY/WY/AY/BY Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

209 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...