Sorry to hear you are having some problems with your game console, but hopefully we can get you back up and running. Game consoles have many of the same issues that any device with an optical reading assembly have and basically work on the same principles, such as dvd/cd players, dvd/cd roms, etc . The following are some common problems that can cause your device to not read the discs properly.
I am going to start with the most common ones and work my way out from there. The information can be used to help you in the future if you experience similar problems.
1. The game discs may be damaged or dirty
- If any disc has scratches, pits, or are dirty (usually finger prints or dust) will cause the laser to not be able to read the data on the disc. This is a very common problem among any device that uses optical reading assemblies with lasers to read data. This will usually present with the device not being able to read one or two discs, but being able to read other ones or brand new ones.
I suggest you purchase a disc cleaner so you can keep all of your discs (game discs, dvds, cds, computer software, etc) clean and help you remove any small scratches they have. This will keep all of your discs in good working order. The cleaner can be purchased at just about any store that sells electronics such as Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Circuit City, etc and they are not expensive at all. You can purchase the electric ones (they cost a bit more, but are faster and easier to use) or buy a manual one that you have to turn a knob to rotate the disc (these are cheaper, but I personally don't think they do as good of a job). Another idea is to contact your local gaming or movie store and ask if they can clean your discs (some will and some won't and if they do, may charge you a small fee if you have a lot of discs to clean).
2. The Optical Lens is dirty
- This is another very common problem and can be fixed easily. If the optical lens is dirty it will not be able to read the disc data properly. Over time every device that has an optical lens will eventually get dirty. This problem will present in much the same way as a dirty disc, with the exception that it will usually not read any discs new or used. To help you solve this problem you can again purchase a cleaning kit from the same places I mentioned previously and they are also not expensive. You can also clean the optical lens manually
in much the same way you can a dvd player (you can click on the link that will take you to my tips and tricks, which will give you step by step instructions on how to do this). I personally would suggest you purchase a cleaning kit. The following picture will give you an idea of what to look for:
3. The spindle motor has malfunctioned
- If the disc is not spinning up at all when inserted in the device, the problem will be the spindle motor. If you listen closely you should be able to hear the disc spinning inside the game console. If you find that this is the problem and you have no formal training or experience working on electronics or do not feel comfortable replacing the part yourself, then you will need to take it to a qualified technician. The motor will usually run you on average around 23-40 dollars, but the labor on average will cost around 50-80 dollars depending on where you live. You can all around and do some comparison shopping to find the best deal.
4. The laser has malfunctioned
- If the laser is not firing properly then the device will not be able to read the data from the disc. This is usually a bit more expensive to repair for the parts and labor. You can find more detailed information in the following link
, which will have more pictures to give you a better idea of what the parts look like. Again, they will basically be the same as a dvd player.
Based on the information you described in your post, I believe that the optical lens needs to be cleaned. The additional information should help you troubleshoot your device and find the problem if cleaning does not immediately correct the issue. Sorry for the long post, but I like to provide as much information as possible to better help solve issues and save you time and money. I hope the information I posted helps solve your problem or helps solve any other issues you may have with your device in the future. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me. I will be more than happy to help in any way I can.
If you would not mind, please rate my help. I would greatly appreciate it.Thank You