Question about Whirlpool 25.6 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator with In-Door-Ice Dispensing System
It has a defrost problem. Most likely cause would be the defrost thermostat which clips onto the evaporator behind the back panel in the freezer. Next most common would be the defrost timer. Third would be the defrost heater. Let me know if you want to try to test these parts. If so I will need the entire model # from the sticker in the fridge or on older models on a plate at the bottom front below the door.
Also note that
Take off the back panel in the freezer. 1/4" screws. Use a nut driver or ratchet and socket with an extension.
2. Behind the frost is the evaporator and the defrost heaters. One heater in the middle and one at the bottom. They are glass tubes. If you can see the bottom heater that is great. If not use a hair dryer and defrost only the very bottom to expose the lower heater only.
3. Now in the refrigerator section at the top where the controls are, take off the long plastic piece to expose the timer. The timer should be on the right hand side and have a little circle that is slotted. Get a flat screwdriver and turn that timer slowly clockwise just until it clicks and the refrigerator turns off. This will put it into defrost.
4. Now look at that heater that you exposed and see if it glows and gets hot. If it does, then the timer is bad.
5. If the heater doesn't come on then go ahead and defrost the rest of the evaporator with the hair dryer. This will take a little while. Don't poke at the evaporator!!!
6. Once totally defrosted look at both heaters. They should look like clear glass and see a silver coil running thru them. If they look discolored at all then the heaters are bad. The heaters come as a complete assembly with the defrost thermostat which clips onto the evaporator.
7. If the heaters look ok the only way to know for sure if they are bad is to check continuity with a meter on the plug at the end of their wiring harness. If you can check that then you can splice in a new defrost thermostat to solve the problem. However the best thing to do is replace the heaters and defrost thermostat . It is easy to install.
Follow these steps and this will solve your problem.
Posted on Jul 29, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 09, 2014 | Refrigerators
Aug 05, 2012 | Sub-Zero Refrigerators
Mar 29, 2010 | GE Profile 24.7 cu. ft. Top Freezer...
Sep 07, 2009 | Jenn-Air JFC2089H Bottom Freezer French...
Sep 06, 2008 | KitchenAid Superba Architect KSCS25INSS...
Apr 26, 2008 | Refrigerators
Jan 23, 2008 | GE (PSS26MSRSS) Side by Side Refrigerator
96 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!