Question about Computers & Internet
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
I just had this problem, go to Computer Management/Disk Management, and assign a drive letter to it, for some reason it doesn't automatically.
Posted on Jan 26, 2009
I had the same problem with vista home 32bit. I accessed the bios then went into usb configuration, and disabled the "legacy suppor" for usb, this is an older support for usb 1.0 before 2.0. Once disabled was able to reattach two external hdd, and reboot normally
Posted on Mar 25, 2009
sounds like you are using the wrong power supply. Check the amp output on the power plug you plug into the wall make sure its the same as the amp input of your external harddrive
Posted on Jun 01, 2009
One or more of the hints below will probably sort out most USB problems with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly. 5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
6. For FLASH DRIVES you should ensure that the device is set for "quick removal" using the drive control panel properties or use the USB "Safely Remove Hardware" option. If you dont do this there is a very strong chance that any files you transfer may not be there when you plug into another computer.
7. It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
You should also do this to cheack the drives connections are not bad inside the enclosure.
8. If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
9. If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
10. ensure that you have set removable drives for "quick removal" or that you use the "Safly Remove Hardware" option often shown on the lower toolbar.It is possible that files my not be fully written to external devices before they are removed. This corrupts the file itself and even on occasion the drive.
Posted on Nov 17, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 18, 2011 | Western Digital Passport WDXML800UE...
Nov 02, 2010 | Western Digital WD Passport 250GB Portable...
Oct 23, 2010 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Apr 08, 2010 | Western Digital My Book Essential Edition...
Sep 28, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500...
Jun 13, 2009 | Western Digital Elements powered by WD 320...
Apr 22, 2009 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
Apr 17, 2009 | Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500...
Jul 16, 2008 | Western Digital My Book Premium ES...
Dec 06, 2007 | Western Digital Caviar SE16 (WD5000AAKS)...
36 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!