Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

We accidentally ran our sharp R-510B microwave for 15 minutes on high with nothing in it. the result was an unpleasant chemical smell and a non-functioning micro. when we run it now, the light & fan turn on, the turntable rotates but no cooking occurs. is there anything simple like a fuse replacement or something that can get us cooking again?

Posted by on

  • carpedm Apr 24, 2008

    I was afraid of that. Thanks for confirming. Game over, micro, we're on to a new one soon.

×

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 186 Answers

That doesn't sound good at all. Microwaves are death traps. It could have melted some metal inside. A fuse could have gone, but most likely the magnetron is shot. Might be safer to recycle and reinvest in a new microwave, especially for safety sake when dealing with controlling radiation.

Posted on Apr 24, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Sharp r410 microwave runs but wont heat


If it sounds like it normally does, then you probably have a failure of some component in the high voltage circuit, or whatever element controls it, or the thermal protector on the magnetron.

If troubleshooting this yourself, be aware that the high voltage capacitor can retain a charge of several thousand volts indefinitely. Very unpleasant to touch.

May 13, 2016 | Sharp R-410LW Carousel 1-2/5-Cubic-Foot...

1 Answer

My son ran the microwave with nothing in it. nothing works. is it ruined?


Magnetron used with no load.

It sounds like the magnetron may have either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high voltage required to run it. Using the microwave with nowhere for the energy to go results in magnetron meltdown!
Contact an appliance repair service for a repair.

Feb 21, 2011 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I accidentally ran my Kenmore microwave Model No 401.80083700 with nothing in it, for 20 minutes (thought I'd put the timer on)now it has just stopped working. No power coming on at all. Can this be...


Depends could be thermal cut out gone more likely magnatron....Perhaps you could claim home insurance...Accidental damage...please leave feedback.

Apr 07, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I ran the microwave for 15 minutes with nothing inside. It no longer heats.


possibly a fuse inside or a diode...... those are fairly cheap repairs if those check out okay it might be a magnetron or high coltage transormer,,take it to a service shop dont try and test those yourself high risk of shock without groounding the capacitor first.... i hate to tell you these days that micros are disposable items if u were to get it serviced after its all said and done you will have put enough money into it to buy a new one hope this helps

Feb 02, 2010 | Goldstar Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sharp microwave 1200 watts keypad showing


Not a complete answer, but may help describe problem: Our R-510B should be the same except for color, and for several years it has intermittently messed up its display. The left side two segments on the units digit won't light up. So a digit 8, without the two vertical bars on the left, comes out as a letter E reversed left to right. Any digit that uses the two left segments (traditionally labelled segments E and F when talking about 7-segment displays) comes out wrong. Every thing else works fine. I can't tell if this is your problem.
This is almost surely a bad contact at the interface between the LCD display panel and the PC board: Typically there is a "squishy" conductive strip that connects them, and I expect grease has gotten in there. If so careful disassembly and cleaning with a mild solvent should fix it. Since we can live with it, and it usually fixes itself in a few weeks, I have not got around to taking it apart.
Bob Wilson

Oct 24, 2009 | Sharp R-510HW Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Unit is dead after accidentally running it empty.


If you ran it for that long with nothing inside, there is a good chance it self cooked.

It can probably be repaired. The economics of the repair is something you will have to judge for yourself.

To assist you, may i suggest you visit www.repairclinic.com and check on some major parts for your make and model. If the parts = more than 25% of replacement, I think id be moving on. Expect to pay a pro at least $100.00/hr labor. You should NOT do it unless you are skilled at handling delicate and lethal electronics. A microwave can kill. Another thing, after you fix it, you have a lot of $ invested and still have a old machine that ran for 13 + minutes empty.

Oct 13, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sharp Microwave Model R-510B Light burned out -


Generic answer:

You probably have to remove the case. DO NOT TOUCH THE SILVER CAN - LETHAL. There are probably 8 phillips or torx head screws to remove the cover.

Alternatively, their may be access inside, where I would look first.

Let me know if this works.

a

Sep 23, 2009 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Last night my wife accidently turned on the microwave with nothing inside. It probably ran for 15-20 minutes before I noticed a burning smell (burnt wiring) After opening the door I noticed the unit had no...


well I can tell you roughly what happened. You overheated the oven, as there was nothing inside to absorb the radiation. So the sensor shout off the power ( safety switch) It returns when the oven reduces in temperature. The burning may be due to internal damage to some of the insulation compound. It takes foreverf to get rid of smells from microwaves no matter what you use including vanill or some other anti stink medicine. The unit is probably OK but overtime will now begin to deteriorate and may even leak radiation to greater extent.

Dump it is my suggestion, but make sure it is damaged sufficiently to prevent dump rats from salvaging it and using it.

The unusual noise ( almost missed that) is damage to the rotation motor bearins that have been expanded and are now out of alignment.

Too risky!

Jul 31, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Oven operating while empty


Yes, as long as you don't smell any burning, but as always, no microwave should ever run unattended.

Jun 03, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Melted carousel in microwave / bad smell


For the smell, do a Google search for "smell microwave" or "odor microwave" for many great tips.

If you need a new turntable support, you can order Sharp parts from Tritronics at http://www.wehaveparts.com

It's part # FROLPB017MRK0

Nov 03, 2007 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

151 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...