Hi Mr Michael D-
I actually had the opportunity to answer this same question for one of our premium chat askers.
First of all, I want to make sure that you have recently replaced the ink and are not simply out of the black ink. If this is NOT the case, please read on.
It seems that it is not only a very common problem, but Kodak is aware and even has a site set up to replace the issue (a faulty printer head).
I am going to give you a fix and then, finally, if that doesnt work, the website where you can request a new one.
First of all, we're going to clean the printerhead:
- Verify that inkjet paper is loaded in the paper trays.
- On your desktop, start the KODAK All-in-One Home Center, then select the Help [?] icon.
- From the Help menu, select Maintenance, then select Printhead Cleaning. The On/Off light flashes green during the cleaning procedure.
- When the On/Off light glows a steady green, press Photo and Copy simultaneously to print a demo sheet.
If this does not work, go to the Kodak self service site by clicking here and following these steps:
This sounds daunting, but I promise, its just a guide of answering the questions to get to the end result (Getting a new printerhead). Just think of it like those annoying text prompts you have to navigate through to speak to a real person when calling customer service. Speaking of which, you do have the option to simply call them instead but it would probably be more time consuming. 1-800-421-6699.
1. select PRINT QUALITY
2. this will take you to a new page, select NO BLACK, MISSING TEXT, OR TEXT QUALITY
3. you will see another new page, select NO
4. It will ask if you have tampered with the device, select NO
5. Another page will ask another question about ink cartridges, select NO
6. Choose your printer by selecting 5100
7. It will give you the directions I did about cleaning your printhead, since this didnt work, select NO
8. One more page comes up, select NO again
9. We're there! All you need to do is enter your Kodak Service Number (located under the printer access cover), the model and the problem. It will then take you to another page where you can request the new part. Voila!