Question about Kitchen Ranges

1 Answer

My renter says she gets a shock from the stove. But there is only when water is associated with the stove on. She even said that if the washing machine is on she can get a shock from the stove, which is 15 feet away. I have checked the wiring connection at the stove and everything is properly installed. I am very confused since I can not duplicate the shock.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Master
  • 1,073 Answers

Take your volt meter set it on 250 volt ac scale touch a frame of the stove with one lead and turn on the water at the sink and touch the sink with the other lead, you may need to add wire to one of the leads to get it to reach let the hot water run for several minuets before you touch the lead to the sink if you get a volt reading then you have an open water heater element in the water heater
the thermastat in the heater is calling for the element to come on power is applyed to the element but with it open the electricity is in the water
when you touch the range whitch is grounded and a sorce of water ie the heater YOU make the return path to ground when you touch the stove

Posted on Apr 23, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

What is a F90

A sledge hammer will just cause more problems ;-). You might try holding the light switch in when putting it in clean. Cycle through the clean cycle and then shut off the clean cycle. this may let the lock motor reset to open. There is a possibility the lock motor has gone bad. This may need a repairman.

Oct 06, 2014 | Kitchen Ranges

1 Answer

I purchased my home last year and the previous owner didn't leave a manual. I also hear a loud banging sound when the oven heats up and cools down. I need to know the best approach to clean the oven.

your stove is going from room temp soy 65 to 70 degrees up three hundred in a couple of minutes that chance in temp shocks the inside and the metal expands and contracts and that should be the bang you hear my gas stove does the same thing it should have a cleaning cycle it gets so hot inside that it melts away or burns everything but you should be able to get cleaner a walmart or home depot or even lowes you should be able to download manuals on line and that will save you from printing a thousand pages

Mar 22, 2011 | Dynasty DGRSC 36-6 Gas Kitchen Range

2 Answers

What's the best way to clean gas stove top pieces?

Remove from stove soak them in a sink of hot water and bleach for about 15 min then lightly scrub with scouring pad and they should come sparkling clean.

Jan 28, 2010 | Kenmore 78812 / 78814 / 78819 Gas Kitchen...

1 Answer

The renters used brillo to clean the stove top and now it's scrated. Can it be repaired?

A scratched enameled stove top can be polished if the scratches arent too severe.

You can try a rubbing compound to smooth out the scratches and then polish to bring back the shine.

Dec 28, 2009 | GE Profile Spectra JGBP90 Gas Kitchen...

1 Answer

This is a brand new range and the elements do not get red. Uncovered water will not boil and covered water takes nearly an hour on high. The oven does not get hot enough either. I just moved into this...

Ranges/Ovens use 220-240 Volts of power instead of 110-120 for most appliances. This is because you are converting electricity to heat. And in that process, you waste a lot! Resistance is what causes the heat to build, the more resistance to the flow of electricity, the more heat is generated. I am thinking that you are not receiving the correct wattage and or amperage to this appliance. Could be a bad cord, a bad connection inside the stove, or only a small amount of voltage coming to the plug. You would need an electrician to determine if you have 220-240 volts and at least 40 amps at the outlet where the stove plugs into. Volts are the flow of electricity, and Amps are the strength, or pressure. Without the both, you have very dim lights, slow running electric motors, and inoperable appliances. If there is indeed 220-240 Volts and 30-40 Amps at the outlet where the stove plugs in, then there are problems with the wiring inside the stove, or the elements themselves. Possibly, but unlikely, it could be the control panel, but you state it's fairly new. Hmmmm, sounds like low voltage, low amperage, and time to investigate both the outlet and the stove. You need an electrician, or someone really familar with electrical. This is important. This is not a mild shock, and a tingle up the arm, if they don't know what they are about, the amperage and voltage could be deadly. Not for the untrained. Have them check the outlet for the stove, and then the stove itself. Simple checks, and you should find it very easily. And, if the outlet checks out okay, then I would return the stove to the seller, and demand a replacement, since you say it's NEW. It's gotta warranty. Let the store take care of it's problem. You got cooking to do! Hope this helps. And PLEASE, Be SAFE. Don't attempt to check this outlet if you are not qualified and expierenced with electrical matters. It can be deadly, and permanent. Like going from holding your garden hose and washing your car, to trying to control a 2" fire hose from a fire truck pushing 600 gallons of water a minute. Thats just an example, but the theory is similar. Lots more volume and lots more pressure! Only this pressure and volume can ruin the rest of your life. Be Safe. Be Aware. And Happy Cooking Soon!

Sep 25, 2009 | Avanti ER2001G Kitchen Range

1 Answer

How can I clean my GE stove top burner and black stove cap???

Soak the black stove caps in 1 part ammonia and 3 parts water. Let soak for several hours. I let it soak overnight. It should clean right up.

Jun 11, 2009 | Frigidaire 30" Self-Cleaning Slide-In Gas...

1 Answer

How to stop clock ticking

It isn't that hard to get the clock to stop ticking.

Disconnect power to stove so that you do not get a shock.

Take off back panel screws behind the clock.

disconnect the wires to the clock.

Make sure that the wires are not touching anything metal. If they are not insulated, you will want to tape them.

Do not use the hammer to the dial method to get the clock to stop. It is fast but may cause damage.

Apr 15, 2009 | Kitchen Ranges

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kitchen Ranges Logo

Related Topics:

99 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kitchen Ranges Experts

Dan Webster
Dan Webster

Level 3 Expert

8205 Answers


Level 3 Expert

66563 Answers


Level 3 Expert

2115 Answers

Are you a Kitchen Range Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides