Question about Garmin nuvi 255W GPS Receiver
I would suggest you reset the unit,if that doesn't solve the problem, then you will have to update your garmin nuvi, I think its out of date and needs to be updated. Follow the procedures below on how to update your garmin nuvi:
1. Plug one end of the USB cable into your GPS and the other end into your desktop or laptop computer. The GPS device will load the appropriate driver automatically, and a message on your GPS tells you that it is connected to your computer via USB.
2. Open your Internet browser of choice and type in the following web addres: "http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27 "
3. Download the appropriate version of the software for your computer (Windows or Apple) and Install the WebUpdater by following the wizard (accept defaults).
4. Click "Start," "Programs," "Garmin" and " WebUpdater" to update your firmware and your maps. Periodically check and make sure your software is current.
Also, in case you don't know how to reset your garmin nuvi, you can follow the steps below: There are two types of reset;
Performing a Standard Reset
1. Slide the power switch all the way to the left (with the Nuvi's screen facing you).
2. Hold the switch in the position for at least eight seconds.
3. Push the switch to the right to power the Nuvi back on.
Performing a Factory Reset
1. Turn your Nuvi off by sliding the power switch to the left.
2. Press your finger against the bottom right corner of the touchscreen. Hold your finger in this position.
3. Slide the power switch to the right to turn the Nuvi back on. Continue to hold you finger against the screen until you see the factory reset prompt. Tap "Yes" to perform the factory reset.
Posted on Jul 21, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
My Garmin 660 after going thru the initial start up of "loading map" it will just SHUTDOWN. I have tried to clear the data in the diagnostic menu as recomendated by Garmin support to no avail. At the start, the trouble is it will just stay in the loading map stage. Then later it begin to shutdown.
Posted on Jul 15, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 21, 2010 | Garmin Nuvi 350 Car GPS Receiver
Apr 12, 2010 | GPS
Apr 12, 2010 | Garmin nuvi 765T GPS Receiver
Jul 24, 2009 | Garmin eTrex Legend GPS Receiver
Dec 31, 2008 | Tomtom GO 910 GPS Receiver
Jul 14, 2008 | Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS Receiver
Jul 12, 2008 | Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS Receiver
May 13, 2008 | Jensen Rock-N-Road GPS
Aug 30, 2014 | Garmin nuvi 255W GPS Receiver
277 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: