This guide is recommended for Cable Internet Service in the USA like Charter, Cox, Comcast, Cable Vision, etc.
- First you need to connect the device together. You need to connect your cable modem to the internet port on the back of the router, and the computer should go to one of the 4-port on the router labeled Ethernet (1, 2, 3, 4).
- Then turn on the modem first, wait for the lights to stabilize before powering on the Linksys router. Lights that you should have on the router are Power (solid green), Wireless/WLAN (Green sometimes flashing), One of the no. lights where the computer is plugged in (flashing), And the internet light (flashing).
After doing this step there are times that this will already get you online. If the internet will not work, you continue following the steps 3.
3. If the internet is still not working; we will need to adjust a setting on the router setup page. To access the setup page of the router you need to open your internet explorer or Firefox on the computer that is hardwired directly to the router. In the address bar of your browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox) type http://192.168.1.1/
and hit enter or click Go. It will ask you for a username and password. Just type "admin" for the password field and there is no username. If you have ran the setup CD prior to this, then use the password that you have set when were running the setup CD.
4. Once you are in the setup page of your router make sure that the Internet Connection Type is set to Automatic Configuration DHCP, then click the save the settings button at the bottom of the page. After saving the settings, click the sub tab at the very top of the page that says MAC Address Clone. Set it to enable and click the button that will say Clone or Clone your PC's MAC and save the settings again.
5. After doing step 4, do a power cycle. Power cycle is done by turning of the router, modem and computer. Leave them off for a minute, tuned them back on in this order. Modem first wait for the lights to stabilize, then the router wait until the power light become solid. Then turn on the computer. This will get you online through the router.DSL
Configuring the Linksys Router.
These instructions assume the computers TCP/IP Properties are configured to " Obtain an IP Address Automatically"
1. Connect the Linksys power supply and connect a Lan port to the computers Lan port.
2. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP)
3. When "Internet Explorer" opens type »192.168.1.1[?] into the "Address" bar and click on Go
4. The "Enter Network Password" window will appear.
5. Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK
6. Scroll down on this page and look for (on older firmware) PPPoE or select the option for PPPoE under "WAN Connection type"
7. Username: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and your password.
8. Select the option for "Keep Alive" with a redial period of 180
9. Click on the Apply button.
10. Then click on the Continue button
11. Exit Internet Explorer
1. Shut down your computer
2. Unplug the power from the router
3. Unplug the power from the DSL modem
4. Wait for 30 seconds and re apply power to the DSL modem
5. Once the lights on the DSL modem stop blinking power up the router
6. Start up your PC
Checking your internet Connection:
1. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP)
2. When "Internet Explorer" opens type »192.168.1.1/Status.htm[?] into the "Address" bar and press the "enter" key or left click the "go" button
3. The "Enter Network Password" window will appear.
4. Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK
5. On the left of the "Status" page you will see "PPPoE Enabled", and to the right you will see the Status of the connection. It can be one of the following:
6. If the status is "Connected" you should be able to browse the web, if not reboot your computer
7. If you get an error message please repeat the "Configuring the router" and "Power Cycling" steps with a different username.
- If all four connections fail then please see our knowledge base articles on the error you're getting.
Once the router is configured correctly you should change the default password and record it for reference.
You should also add the "Enter Network Password" page to the Favorites List, and review the user manual.
for linksys tech support call 1800 3267114
hope this helps.