Question about GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Hello, my microwave is not heating the food up and gives off a slight smell when attempting to heat the food. thanks

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 3,037 Answers

The magnetron (the part that heats the food) may be bad or the circuitry to the magnetron may have burned out. Basically my advice is that if you have no electrical expertise, it isn't worth fixing. The magnetron if bad, costs almost as much as a new microwave. If you open it up (make sure it has been unplugged for a few hours and don't seen any obvious burnt parts, then most likely the magnetron is done and a new microwave is the way to go.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Benjamin

Posted on Jul 20, 2010

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave oven not heating


This a good indicator the magnetron is gone, sometimes leaves odour that is destinctive.

Jun 19, 2012 | GE Profile PVM1790DRCC Microwave

1 Answer

Loud buzzing noise, lights going off and on and slight smell in microwave


By your description it is the magnetron that has become defective, "heats food" cheaper to replace the unit.

Apr 08, 2011 | Sharp R-1492 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Heat element not working


Well, if there is not heating the food and making a loud buzzing or humming sound when it is on, then the magnetron has failed. It typically shorts out and fails. The magnetron for this cost $140 plus the cost of the service call, you're better off buying a new oven. Hope this helps.

Jul 07, 2010 | Frigidaire FMV156EM Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM1640 1000 Watts Microwave Oven: Not heating food and has odd smell...


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

srths

May 17, 2010 | GE JVM1640 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

When I start the microwave, it has a funny smell


Sounds like you burned out the magnetron, if so you should discontinue use immediately. This is the bit that emits the microwaves and they will fail with a burnt faintly oily smell to an acrid chemical smell. Magneton replacement should not be attempted by the amateur fix-it man, Find a reputable appliance repair shop or chuck it in!

May 12, 2010 | GE JEM31 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave not heating and giving burnt plastic smell


STOP USING IT!! UNPLUG IT!! Microwaves are inexpensive now. It will cost you more than a new one costs, to get it fixed.

Apr 02, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

There is an oily smell when I use my new Danby Microwave. Is this normal? Will it get less ? Is it harmful? Ty


If it affects the taste of the food I would definately return it for a full refund before the 30 days are up.

Jan 20, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have a ge spacemaker XL1400. It was manufacture


it sounds to me like the magnetron is shot in it. this is the part that creates the heat. not worth repairing on a 10 year old unit. Sorry.

Nov 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker microwave won't heat food


hello kmwnky,
You say that Everything went out at first ( which I assume means that all functions went dead) and then functions started to operate again later... if that is correct and you smelled something burning.. you may have a thermal fuse that failed, filament transformer that failed, magnetron tube that failed or a highvoltage capacitor that failed.. None of these components are something the untrained person should attempt to trouble shoot or replace since there are dangerous energies stored inside the electronics compartment even after power is removed.. Your Micro is > 8 years old and it's probably not worth the cost of repairing at this point. You'd be better served replacing it.. The cost to repair would exceed the cost to replace.. ( I feel like the grim reaper here..sorry..)
Regards,
Rick

Nov 28, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave not heating up


If the microwave is not heating check magnetron connections, probably you will need to replace the magnetron.

Sep 06, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

55 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

vince

Level 3 Expert

1216 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...