Question about Microwave Ovens
Posted by Anonymous on
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
It's probably the high voltage rectifier diode or magnetron.
The magnetron will have a guarantee lasting about 5-9 years, so if it might be covered, contact GE at http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/contact/
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
Also, there should be a very helpful "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel.
Posted on Dec 09, 2007
This is usually caused by either a bad door switch, a loose door switch mount, or a problem on the control panel.
Even though a door switch clicks, it may still be bad inside.
This can be caused by slamming the door or by habitually opening the door while it's cooking without hitting the Stop pad first.
If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical information on safety, disassembly and door switches at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jan 20, 2008
The problem you are having is that the magnetron that actually does the heating has gone bad. The fact that everthing works fine rules out any type of bad fuse since there is only one 15amp ceramic fuse in most cases in the unit itself. The magnetron is located behind the control panel on top and has some cooling fins on it. Replacing it if you are a do-it-yourselfer is pretty easy provided you can find one at local electronic supplier or on the internet such as www.mwoparts.com if you would like to see what it looks like. It is held in place with typically 4 screws. It has two to three terminals depending on make and model and age. With everything unplugged it comes off easily enough with no desoldering or soldering to do. There is a High Voltage Capacitor and Diode that could be bad also, but without being able to check it in person it would be difficult for me to tell that they are. In my experience the magnetron is the first thing I replace and have never replaced a capacitor or high voltage diode in the past 20 years. Good luck and God bless.
Posted on Jan 23, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 11, 2014 | KitchenAid KEMS379BSS 27" Microwave...
Nov 29, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Feb 14, 2013 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Jan 31, 2013 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Mar 10, 2012 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Sep 21, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1750 Microwave Oven
Jan 24, 2010 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...
Jul 02, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 21, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
267 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!