The agitator of the washer does not catch and spin. You can manually spin the agitator. The agitator does move from the momentum created by the outer wash basin (sorry not sure of correct name). Please help!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washing machine is atop-loading clothes washer. The washer has several cycles to choose from,including cycles for washing normal clothes, permanent press items, delicateand items marked "Hand Wash." To do its job, thewashing machine relies on an agitator, located in the center of the wash tub.The agitator rotates during the wash cycle, moving the clothes around the washtub so that they are cleaned equally. If the agitator is broken, it will notsufficiently agitate the clothes and must be replaced.
·1 Unplug the washing machine from the wall outlet or turn off the power supplyin your service panel.
· 2 Open thewashing machine lid and remove any clothes remaining inside.
· 3 Remove thefabric softener cup by squeezing the bottom lip of the cup and lifting itstraight off.
· 4 Pry theagitator cap off of the top of the agitator with a flat-head screwdriver.
· 5 Remove thebolt at the bottom of the agitator, using the socket wrench with extension, andthen remove the agitator from the washing machine. Tip the agitator to removethe bolt and washer.
· 6 Install thenew agitator onto the drive shaft.
· 7 Secure thenew agitator with the bolt that you originally removed.
· 8 Press theagitator cap and fabric softener cup back into position on top of the newagitator.
· 9 Restore powerto the washing machine to complete the repair.
Most Whirlpool washers have ratchet type pawls in the agitator. If it is like mine, the top of the agitator pops off where you would ad softener detergent (in the center top of the agitator) and you will see the ratchet pawls inside the agitator. Mine we worn out and doing the same thing. I replaced mine and the unit is working fine now.
Hi,does the top part of the agitator move freely when you move it by hand?Or does it catch,if it does not catch the the cogs other wise known as dog ears are worn out.Do not believe the little cogs that catch inside the top part of the agitator can be replaced.You may have to replace the whole agitator unit on some models they are around 40.00.
if the agitator barely moves, sounds as if yo have a bad set of agitator dogs, part number 80040. if you removeth agitaotr,(7/16 screw) down the center ofthe shaft. yo can removeth efabric softener dispensor by hitting with the palm of hand. after removing the agitator, it can be split in half to reveal hte "agitator dogs" easy repair problalbby about $20 and 30 min tops
To check the agitator. Start the washer into wash cycle. Once started Push down on top of agitator. If it catches some times or all of the time when pushing down, then then doggets are worn, under the agitator. You`ll have to remove the agitator to see these. If by pushing down on the agitator, nothing changes, Then you probably have a transmition problem. Check this and let me know what you find.
If the washer fills up with water and you hear the motor running but the agitator doesn’t move, the agitator coupling is the most likely problem. First pump the water out by turning the timer to spin. Once the water is out, turn the washer off. Now pull up on the agitator until it comes off (it may be hard to pull off). Now that the agitator is off, you can see the agitator coupling, reach down and try to turn the coupling. If the coupling turns freely, it is striped out and needs to be replaced.