Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Small melted hole at microwave door -- doesn't appear to have breached the clear plastic on the interior. Is this dangerous and does this require repair? Thank you so much!

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 8,820 Answers

It should be okay as long as none of the holes in the fine metal mesh / screen are damaged or enlarged and as long as the door closes fully and evenly.

Keep an eye on it in case it gets worse or any food or grease get stuck in the hole. That can lead to arcing & severe damage.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Apr 23, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a Goldstar range microwave with two small holes in the clear plastic on the inner side of the door. The mesh appears intact. Can this be repaired?


yes you can buy it the material from the supplier for the microwave parts. special paint for microwaves.God bless you

Apr 02, 2013 | Goldstar Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

A plastic container with hidden piece of metal caught fire in my Sharp r1490 and burned with a big flame. Several small holes were burned in the ceiling panel. Are we in danger of radiation exposure/ is...


The microwave oven is not safe to use, the fire has compromised the interior of the oven, if you run the microwave it will start to arc and eventually short out the magnetron, because the white enamel paint has been burned away. If you have holes in the ceiling there is danger of radiation leakage, for safety reasons the oven should be replaced.

Feb 23, 2011 | Sharp R-1490 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

A "plastic" square has become


That is a waveguide and the cover.
If you let steam of food particles enter the microwave will soon be no good as it will burn a hole in the aerial assembly.
The cover must be clean and fits as you say with a stainless steel screw.
Hope this helps.

Dec 13, 2010 | Sharp R-7A85 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

We take turns replacing microwave ovens where I work. The latest one, a GE JES1358WL, stopped working after opening the door while running on a one-push (1 minute) start setting, and the control panel is...


Sounds like part of the peg broke off and is left inside the recepter slot area where the sensor switch is. If it is the lower door plastic hook thing (inside bottom) that broke off, it is possible to re-attatch it to the door if you save the broken piece. Drill a small hole the size of a small wire or nail you have lying around to make a splint - Cut the nail or wire to about 1/2" to use it as a hidden "bone" or skeletal support inside the broken plastic. Glue the nail half way into the broken plastic using modelers glue. Closely align the nail peg to where the plastic broke off and mark it for drilling. Drill carefully making sure you are centered so that your wire "bone" will allow proper alignment of your plastic. Insert the pinned piece into the newly drilled hole checking for alignment, if it looks close enough you can glue it in place and you should have a strong enough repair. Dangerous to use a wooden peg to fool the internal switch. As it will be running even when the door is open and you don't want to get zapped.

Nov 04, 2010 | GE JE1235 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Hello I have a LG Microwave/grill/convention oven. I caught my bracelet on the bottom lug thing that is attached to the door and now the microwave runs all the time? Please help is this something i can...


Sounds like part of the peg broke off and is left inside the recepter slot area where the sensor switch is. If it is the lower door plastic hook thing (inside bottom) that broke off, it is possible to re-attatch it to the door if you save the broken piece. Drill a small hole the size of a small wire or nail you have lying around to make a splint - Cut the nail or wire to about 1/2" to use it as a hidden "bone" or skeletal support inside the broken plastic. Glue the nail half way into the broken plastic using modelers glue. Closely align the nail peg to where the plastic broke off and mark it for drilling. Drill carefully making sure you are centered so that your wire "bone" will allow proper alignment of your plastic. Insert the pinned piece into the newly drilled hole checking for alignment, if it looks close enough you can glue it in place and you should have a strong enough repair. Dangerous to use a wooden peg to fool the internal switch. As it will be running even when the door is open and you don't want to get zapped.

Nov 04, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Panasonic Slimline Stainless Steel Combination Microwave


First of all, is the hole a factory one that you never noticed before? If so, leave it alone. I know that microwaves generate a lot interior heat and it needs to escape someway. Secondly, if it is not a factory made vent hole and you can't be sure if it caused from a lot of use, and if the oven still works fine, I would not worry about it if it were me.

Mar 10, 2009 | GE JVM1630 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Door-activated power switch is loose and/or has a short


Fixed this problem! The door latches were greasy and sticking in the closed position (i.e., pushed down so not latching and engaging fully when the door was closed) and this created the problems described above. Solution was to squirt some Windex into the latch holes to dissolve the grease. The switches popped back into position (must be spring-loaded) and the door closed and latched properly, allowing the oven to function properly. I swabbed out the hole with a q-tip, let it dry for 20 minutes and all is well.

Nov 17, 2008 | Whirlpool MH6150XMS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave


A microwave needs all those surfaces to be fully reflective. those scorch marks greatly affect the magnetron. it will soon burn out . reccommend a new microwave.

Feb 17, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Hole in plastic on inside of door


check the conductivity of the plastic with an ohmmeter by placing the probes an inch apart on the plastic surface. If the resistance is large or infinity, the plastic probably performs no role in stopping the microwave radiation. If so, any epoxy probably can be used to close the hole safely. Make sure you don't use too much and if possible place tape over the repair and orient the microwave so the epoxy presses against the tape while drying to prevent it from oozing into any door hinge/close mechanism. Otherwise, a piece of microwave door glass from a broken unit can ge glued over the hole and should stop the radiation. You can check for leakage with test units but be very carefuly anyway.

Nov 30, 2007 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

232 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...