this is all i could find out, now if you do try this do so at your own risk.
This hack requires the S48 remote plus a universal remote configured for the S48 with a separate 'Pause' button (or another Panasonic DVD remote with a separate 'Pause' button may work).
I used a cheap universal remote.
1. Select DVD device on remote.
2. Hold magic button until the DVD button blinks twice.
3. Enter device code 0490 (DVD button blinks twice)
Neither the 'Play/Pause' nor 'Frame' buttons on the S48 remote work for this hack.
1. Power on.
2. Open tray.
3. Using the S48 remote press Audio, 1, 9, 8, 2, Subtitle
4. Using the other remote (URC 7562) press Pause.
5. Using the S48 remote press 0.
The DVD front panel should now show the text "on".
The DVD should now be region-free.
Region code hack posted by spook65, December 12 2012:
DVD-S48EG-K (Region 2)
This is the process for unlocking, the Panasonic DVD-S48 for
Please note, you will need a universal remote control which
has a PAUSE button in order to unlock this player.
1. Turn the power ON
2. Open the disc tray
3. Using the remotes, press AUDIO 1 9 8 2 SUBTITLE PAUSE 0
4. Switch the player to STANDBY and then switch ON again.
The display should read ON after you enter PAUSE 0.
If this doesn't happen, switch the player off and start the
The remote supplied with Panasonic player has a PLAY/PAUSE
button rather than a separate PAUSE button. If you use the
PLAY/PAUSE button, the tray will close and the unlock
sequence will be aborted.
To get round this, you need a universal remote set-up to use
with the DVD player. After pressing SUBTITLE on the
Panasonic remote, quickly press the PAUSE button on the
universal remote, then press 0 on the Panasonic remote to
complete to unlock code entry.
or this one.
What is the process for Multizoning a DVD-S38 / DVD-S48 / DVD-S58 / DVD-S68 / DVD-S500 / DVD-S700 DVD Player?
Providing your DVD Player is one of the below models, you can multizone the unit yourself using the remote supplied with the product and another Panasonic product remote thas a Pause button on it
DVD-S38 / DVD-S48 / DVD-S58 / DVD-S68 / DVD-S500 / DVD-S700
1. Power on the unit and open the disc tray
2. Using the remote that came with the player, press the following buttons in sequence
3. AUDIO 1 9 8 2
5. Using the other Panasonic Remote (not the one that came with the player), press the PAUSE button
6. On the remote that came with the DVD player, press the 0 (zero) button
7. If you have followed the above process correctly, the word ON should be shown on the front panel display of the player*1
*1 Please note: The models DVD-S500 and DVD-S700 do not have a front panel display,
so the only way of confirming that the multizoning process has been done correctly, is to
try playing a DVD disc from another region code other than region 4