Question about Goldstar MV-1515 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Gold Star 1515W microwave not heating up and when

Gold Star 1515W microwave is not heating up, unplugged it tried again now a burning smell after about 1 minute running. Smell of burning was occuring even before unplugging it.

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 3,037 Answers

The magnetron (the part that heats the food) may be bad or the circuitry to the magnetron may have burned out. Basically my advice is that if you have no electrical expertise, it isn't worth fixing. The magnetron if bad, costs almost as much as a new microwave. If you open it up (make sure it has been unplugged for a few hours and don't seen any obvious burnt parts, then most likely the magnetron is done and a new microwave is the way to go.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Benjamin

Posted on Jul 20, 2010

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave burn smell how to remove


put an ozone generator inside for 5-10min. Unplug the microwave, then run the ozone generator for 5-10min. IF that does not work you may need to start replacing plastic bits inside.

Mar 02, 2018 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Goldstar model MV-1515W over the range microwave. Runs everything works but won't heat and hums a bit louder than it use to. Anything I can do to fix???? Fuse, reset, throw away????


Please do not take offence to this answer. Please seek the advice of a qualified person because the capacitors in a microwave are dangerous. Handled wrong at best you will get a severe shock and minor burns at worse its lethal. I know what is wrong with it and a qualified engineer might charge about 80 pounds to fix but my conscience wont allow me to tell you in case it goes badly wrong for you.

Nov 16, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

We were using the microwave the other night and it started making a loud noise like the fan was running (although the fan was not). We let it sit for awhile and try to use it again but the noise came...


The loud noise and no heat means that the magnetron has failed. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. When it fails it shorts out, causing the transformer to heat up. That is what was causing the burning smell. The cost of a replacement magnetron is around $130-150 range so it may not make sense to have it fixed.

Mar 24, 2011 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

When I turn on the micowave; smell somthing burning


The magnetron (the part that heats the food) may be ready to burn out. If you smell the burning, you should then unplug the microwave, open it up and see if you can determine for sure that it is coming from that part. Unfortunately even if I am right, it is almost more cost effective to just replace the microwave rather than replace that part. You can run this microwave till it dies if you want, but I would be ready with a new one.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Benjamin

Apr 29, 2010 | KitchenAid KCMS145J Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a frid microwave FMV145KB2 that has stop working


if the magnetron is shot, then replace the microwave! the magnetron is what produces the 'microwaves' that do the heating. get rid of it! buy a new one! the smell is from overheating circuitry- don't want to take the chance of a fire!
these days you can replace it pretty cheaply- with a fine piece of technology made in china! but, if it lasts 3-4 years, it's pretty cost effective.
once again! if your getting a 'burning' smell from it, unplug it and dispose of it!
good luck!

Sep 28, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Bosch HMT8655GB, after being used no heat and cuts out at 22 secs


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

e6tuwe

May 12, 2009 | Bosch HMT8655GB Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Noise while not running


don;t worry;
all you need to do is lubricate the fan bearings with light machine oil and make sure the fan is not hitting anything

Apr 18, 2009 | Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave...

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat


A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Burning smell , Microwave not turning off


the control circuit shorted out from the cleaning session and kept the microwave on so long with nothing to cook that it has cooked itself I'm sorry to tell you. Probably not worth repairing

Dec 27, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from Microwave


If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Dec 27, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

246 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Goldstar Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

Mike

Level 3 Expert

4354 Answers

Are you a Goldstar Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...