I cannot set up my Linksys wireless router model number:WRT54GS to work properly. I have a desktop computer with Windows XP operating sysyem. I have three other laptop computers with wireless components
The easiest would be to connect your desktop straight to your modem and verify that you can connect to the Internet. Do not use the LinkSys WRT54GS yet. Pop in the CD that came with the WiFi Router and run the setup wizard. Follow exactly on screen instructions. Verify that your desktop's networking is set to auto obtain IP address.
Alternately, you can try:
1. connect your desktop with a straight through LAN cable to Ethernet Port #1 of the WRT54GS;
2. set your desktop to use IP-192.168.1.10, Subnet Mask-255.255.255.0, Default Gateway-192.168.1.1;
3. open a browser and goto 192.168.1.1. use the LinkSys supplied username and password;
4. verify/configure/set the LinkSys to your preference;
5. for the time being do not use any security keyphrase, WEP WPA or MAC filter;
6. verify that your laptops could see the router's SSID;
7. verify that all laptops are set to auto obtain IP addresses;
If for some reason neither method will not work, pls post back with your modem's make & model.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.
Thank you for using FixYa.
May 07, 2008 |