I have a Amilo laptop and the cable connected to the mains supply,attached to it looks like the battery charger. This is getting very hot after only a few mins as well as my laptop. The laptop is only just over 2 years old
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: Hot laptop and battery charger
It may well be that the battery that's being charged is getting past its sell by date. They only last for so many charges. easy way to find out is remove the battery, connect the power supply, and if the charger power supply doesn't get hot (usual to get warm) then its your battery. It is perfectly okay to use the laptop without the battery installed on the mains.
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
look at the bottom of the laptop where you install the battery, there's should be what looks like metal contacts where the battery connects to the actual computer. make sure that when you installed the battery you didn't accidentally bend 2 of them so they were touching eachother. you may have created a direct short which is what caused your heat and the smell. try to plug the battery back in and be careful that you don't bend the metal contacts.
SOunds to me like the charge board inside the laptop has gone bad. If it will not run off of the mains supply without the battery and will not charge the battery, this is your problem. AS far as where you can get the parts or have it repaired. I am unsure of because I would need the full model and make of the laptop which didn't fit in the listing title bar above If you could send me more info, I would be glad to try to help.
Basically, the directions 1. Shutdown the laptop, turn offthe main source on the wall, unplug and disconnect the power supply fromthe laptop. 2. Discharge yourself by touchingthe unpainted part of a PC or a radiator. 3. Remove the battery from thelaptop. (Shift the battery lock and pull battery pack out.) 4. Remove the control Panel (usea razor or a flat butter knife ) push the knife downward gentle and tilt itabout 30 o outward to release clips and left panel. Repeat the process onthe other side till the entire panel is freely removed 5. Remove the panel to expose thesingle screw that secures the keyboard. 6. undo the screw to free thekeyboard and lift the Keyboard gently 7. Undo the clip that holds thekeyboard connector Ribbon in place this would completely free thekeyboard. Remove the Keyboard. To unveil a metal plate
Whats the spec of your power supply (approx 19v dc @ 3 - 4 Amps...)
Voltage 'OFF LOAD' is irrelevant - its the power consumption (A) that you need to validate (Do not measure directly)
Does the Laptop power up under mains feed ?
Is your concern mainly the fact that the battery(s) are not charging ?
If so, unplug it from the wall charger, remove the battery and wait 5 minutes. Then plug the unit back in, leaving the battery out. Attempt to power up. You may lose what work you hadn't saved from the previous use, but nothing else.
If that doesn't work, it's possible that
A) power socket isn't completely connected to the motherboard anymore, so
B) battery isn't charging properly, or
C) the wall charger has gone bad.
I'd say you're in hibernation tho.