Question about Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
"F11" is a Serial Communications error between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and Motor Control Unit (MCU). The CCU is the main computer for the washer and is located directly behind the wash tub. The MCU is the Drive Motor Control board and is located in the rear of the washer adjacent to the Drive Motor on the left-hand side (facing from the rear with the back panel removed). The wiring harness can also cause the error, but it is not as common a problem.
Whirlpool is the manufacturer of both model washers and recommends the following troubleshooting advice. Remove the top panel of the washer by removing the three screws holding it in place in the rear. Once the screws are removed, the panel slides back, then off. Remove the rear panel of the washer for access to the drive motor and MCU. Now check the following:
- Check the wire harness connections between the CCU, the MCU and Drive Motor. Make sure all connections are attached and making good contact. Check for any broken wires or connector pins.
- Check the Drive Motor to see if it free spins and that the belt is still attached and not slipping. If the motor is seized, replace it. If the belt is broken or worn, replace it as well.
- Check the MCU. Connector 1 is the Serial Communications Link between the MCU and CCU. Connector 2 is the connector to the drive motor. Resistance checks across pins 1, 2, & 3 are the motor windings. Connector 3 is the power supply - 120VAC should be read across pins 1 and 2 with the door in the locked position. NOTE: The connectors are read 1, 2, and 3 from the bottom to the top with the MCU installed.
- Check the CCU. Verify connectors 7 and 11 are properly installed. Facing from the front of the washer, connector 7 is the 4th connector from the RIGHT along the front. This is MCU Power. Connector 11 is the Serial Communications link from the CCU to the MCU and is located along the left hand side of the CCU (the connectors are numbered 11 through 14 back to front).
- Check the Drive Motor. Remove the connector and perform resistance checks on the motor connector pins. Readings across pins 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 1 to 3 should read 6 ohms.
In most cases this is an indication of a failed CCU. This is an easy repair that the average do-it-yourselfer can accomplish on their own. If the washer is still under a warranty, parts and labor would be covered. With no warranty, a replacement parts will vary in price depending on where you get them. There are several good websites available that you can order parts on line and have shipped directly to you.
NOTE: Remove all the connectors from the CCU ONE AT A TIME and reconnect to see if the error code goes away BEFORE you decide to purchase a new one. It is not common, but sometimes a flaky connection can generate error codes.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.*&^%
Posted on Sep 29, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 01, 2015 | Pride Jazzy 1103 Ultra Standard Power...
Hi Ken Kazemi - Typically error code F11 indicates a shorted keypad. Try resetting the range by unplugging it or flipping the household circuit breaker off. This usually will clear most false error codes. Wait approximately ten minutes and if it proves to be ineffective contact a professional to move forward accurately. Most likely the EOC on the range will need replacing.
Feb 03, 2013 | Frigidaire 30" Self-Cleaning Freestanding...
1. (F11, 12 & 13)
Disconnect power, wait 30 seconds and reapply power.
2. (F11, 12 & 13) If fault returns upon power-up, replace EOC.
EOC = Electric Oven Controller
Jun 13, 2011 | Frigidaire PLES399EC Electric Kitchen...
Dec 19, 2010 | Sears Craftsman LiftMaster Chamberlain...
Jul 13, 2009 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
May 27, 2009 | 2002 Hyundai XG350
Apr 03, 2009 | Mitsubishi WD-52327 52" Rear Projection...
Oct 13, 2008 | Frigidaire Kitchen Ranges
30 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: