Question about Sharp R-308J Microwave Oven
My wife put a cup of coffee in our microwave to heat it up. She put too much time on and the cup dried out and exploded. Now the microwave won't work at all. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it still won't work. Is there another way to reset it? Is it worth repairing or should I get a new one?
I would suspect the thermal fuse / thermal cutout or thermostat (whichever it uses) is open. It is located on or above the magnetron.
When the mag gets too hot, this device protects it from destructive overheating by cutting power to the oven. Hopefully it did its job!!
If you have a Sharp R308 (the heading you posted in) then it will be a thermal cutout.
It should read virtually zero ohms or full continuity, depending on how you check it.
If you or someone you know wants to look into this, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find exploded views and by entering your FULL model number here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com
You should also check the internal fuse, just to be sure.
Please reply with your brand and model number if you need further help or if yours is a different model.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
William E. Miller, AS-EET
Posted on Apr 20, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 21, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Oct 31, 2012 | Jenn-Air Microwave Ovens
Sep 20, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Aug 01, 2011 | Whirlpool MH2155XP Microwave Oven
Jan 03, 2011 | Hotpoint RVM1435 Microwave Oven
Feb 16, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Oct 24, 2009 | Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven
136 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: