Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell microwave

Burning smell ge microwave

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Cheetah:

    An expert who has answered 20 or more questions within one hour.

    Night Owl:

    An expert who has answered 10 or more questions between 12 midnight and 6am on the same day.

  • Contributor
  • 55 Answers

The burning smell is most likely the rectifier burning. Look for a rectanguler black thing connecting from one lead of the capacitor to ground.

Posted on Sep 09, 2010

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

cactus bob
  • 267 Answers

SOURCE: capacitor burned out? horrible burnt smell.

YOUR GOING TO NEED A NEW MICROWAVE . the cap may be bad but the real bad smell you have is most likely the HV tranformer , if the magntron shorts to ground there will be a small smell if you dont pick up on that and your microwave is set to run another few mins the transformer will overheat and burn , then the fuse blows and the controls shut down . the end result , you have more parts bad than you have good . if you google " GE SPACEMAKER MICROWAVE FIRE ' you will see your not the only one , its getting to be COMMON . good luck

Posted on Mar 08, 2009

Illeagle
  • 525 Answers

SOURCE: GE Profile Spacemaker II - Burning smell and no heating

You may have a failure of the H.V. rectifier. I would recommend that a trained technician replace this part due to the high voltage potential.

Posted on Jun 03, 2008

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: GE JVM1660BB Microwave makes loud noise when

With the symptoms you have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier diode or a bad magnetron.

There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
(if it's not shorted or burned, it's probably okay)


http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html

To remove it from the wall, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.

You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on May 31, 2010

  • 13 Answers

SOURCE: ge microwave oven wall smelling wire burn!!!!

time to put it to rest

Posted on Jan 02, 2009

localwonder
  • 6784 Answers

SOURCE: MICROWAVE IS NOT HEATING

HI, the actual device that produces the heat is damaged or faulty. this device is called the Magnetron. you will need to replace this part in order to restore the heating ability of this microwave oven.

Please rate and have a great day:)

Posted on May 29, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

G.E Microwave model JVM1860 Burning Smell


you must open inside see the diagram, and see 1) burn cable 2) fuse 3) diode 4) capacitor 5) magnetron 6) bulb etc.
God bless you
bd27851d-c34e-4b35-ae17-2f1cc28c4a85.gif

Nov 22, 2013 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Microwave Model JVM1860 burning smell


check 1) power cord for burn 2) wires 3) connector, 4) motor 5) switch, etc see the photo attached. and replace it.
God bless you
73a13282-d0a4-4e4a-9dcd-45db9b9aa6c8.gif

Nov 22, 2013 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My ge jvm1653 BD 001 has a burning wire smell


The power supply is overheating and needs to be checked asp, this is a fire hazart and a safety issue.

May 18, 2012 | GE JVM1653 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Have ge profile spacesaver xl sensor. will not heat strange buzzing sound and burning smell. clock, light, vent still work


This is most likely a defective magnetron, especially with the burning smell. There are two other parts that can be a problem, the high voltage capacitor and diode, all three work together to heat food. If the magnetron is the culprit, probably cheaper to replace the microwave oven.

Mar 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Not heating. Electrical burn smell.


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Basic Microwave Oven TroubleshootingTips

heatman101][[\\[]

May 19, 2010 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell


the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Aug 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burning smell and won't heat.


If it buzzes real loud it's probably the high volyage diode. However some times if it smells it's the transformer. Usually the diode is a cheap fix ~$10.00 but this model the diode is $50. It's number 50 on the link below. Let me know how it works out or you need anything else.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=JVM1440BH01&productCategoryId=0123370&brandId=0432&modelName=MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00001&documentId=G0312014&pop=flush

Apr 19, 2009 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Capacitor burned out? horrible burnt smell.


YOUR GOING TO NEED A NEW MICROWAVE . the cap may be bad but the real bad smell you have is most likely the HV tranformer , if the magntron shorts to ground there will be a small smell if you dont pick up on that and your microwave is set to run another few mins the transformer will overheat and burn , then the fuse blows and the controls shut down . the end result , you have more parts bad than you have good . if you google " GE SPACEMAKER MICROWAVE FIRE ' you will see your not the only one , its getting to be COMMON . good luck

Mar 08, 2009 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

3,820 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1167 Answers

 Larry
Larry

Level 2 Expert

115 Answers

Shekar Avadhani

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...