Question about Whirlpool MH7155XM Microwave Oven
There is usually a 125V, 20 AMP line fuse inside the microwave, mounted at the point where the power cord enters the back of the unit. Unfortunately, you will need to uninstall the oven (if this is an over the range model), UNPLUG it and remove the exterior case to access. The case comes off in various ways depending on manufacture and model.
If the model number you listed this question under is correct, you have THREE possibilties that may cause a complete loss of power:
1. Line fuse
2. The Oven Cavity Thermostat.
3. Thermal Cut-Out (Thermostat) for the Magnetron.
The line fuse is connected in line with the power cord inside the unit and is listed as part of item 28 under the "Interior and Ventilation" parts heading. The thermostat for the oven cavity is listed as item 29 (part number 8183703) under the same parts heading. The thermostat for the Magnetron is listed as item 15 under the "Magnetron and Turntable Parts" heading. The part number is 8183698.
I would recommend you check the fuse, first. This the easiest and least expensive repair. It is also the most common. If you managed to overheat the oven any time recently, you may want to check the thermostat(s) to see if it is still good, next. They should read 0 ohms when measured out of the circuit across the terminals.
If the line fuse is blown, you can usually purchase a box of fuses at a hardware store for just a little more than what the manufacturer charges for a single fuse. 125V, 20AMP Ceramic Slow Blow fuses are recommended.
If you have any questions, or need additional assistance troubleshooting, please post back and let me know. I hope you find this information helpful. NOTE: Baked potatoes, steamed vegetables and popcorn are notrious for causing high humidity and/or overheat conditions in an oven cavity. If you find any of the thermostats tripped or blown, remember to allow the oven cavity to cool by leaving the door open between cooking items. This should only take a few minutes. Repeatedly heating items one after the other can cause high humidity and heat which may cause the thermostats to trip. Some of these thermostats reset themselves, others you need to replace.
NOTE: Make sure you take any resistance readings with the microwave UNPLUGGED and the component under test isolated (removed) from the circuit. These ovens can blow a fuse by simply sitting idle. This can occur from any power fluctuations, brown outs, voltage spikes, etc. Or, it could be the symptom of a component that may have failed. If you find the internal fuse blown and replace it, only to have it blow again, you have a more significant problem than a simple blown fuse.
Posted on Jul 12, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 28, 2008 | Whirlpool MH7130XE Microwave Oven
May 06, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 16, 2017 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Jun 22, 2009 | Whirlpool GH4155XP Microwave Oven
Dec 28, 2008 | DeLonghi MW 535 Microwave Oven
Nov 25, 2008 | Whirlpool MH1140XMS Microwave Oven
Oct 14, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jul 07, 2008 | Whirlpool MH1140XM Microwave Oven
Feb 04, 2008 | Whirlpool MH3184XP Microwave Oven
524 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: