1) Turn off your anti-virus for a moment and see if problem persists.
And then check anti-virus parental controls and see if they are set to block access to certain websites.
2) Re-start computer, and start pressing F8 key as computer restarts.
This will take you to screen asking if you want to start in safe mode.
Select yes, and select safe mode with internet connection.
When computer starts, then open IE8 and see if Facebook opens.
This will tell you if a program is interfering with access.
Then restart computer again and let it restart normally, to return to ordinary operation. Takes 10 minutes.
3) Go to start > Run > type in msconfig > click enter key > system configuration utility opens. Go to startup tab, and uncheck all boxes (do not uncheck boxes under Services tab).
Restart computer and then try IE8 again.
On the restart, your anti-virus might not automatically open, so click on desktop icon to start antivirus.
If facebook opens, then you can go back to msconfig and one-by-one put checkmarks back into boxes and then re-start to identify suspect program.
4) Go to start > Run > type in prefetch > click enter key > box opens > delete contents of box. These are temp files.
Go to start again > run > type in %temp% > click enter key > delete contents of box. If contents will not delete, then re-start computer and try to delete again, if contents will still not delete, start computer in safe mode and then delete contents of %temp% folder while in safe mode. Restart normally.
Open IE8 > go to tools > internet options > general tab > delete browsing history, cookies and all content.
Then try facebook again.
Takes about 15-25 minutes.
5) You are using IE8 browser. You can use more than 1 browser. I have 2 on my computer. Download Firefox browser
and see if problem runs across browsers. I use Firefox as primary browser. Or you can download Google Chrome
Try the other browsers to see if problem is unique to your IE8 browser. Takes about 10 minutes.
6) Do a system restore back to date and time when you knew IE worked correctly. Back up your files to be safe. Go to start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore. Follow prompts. Takes about 18 minutes.
7) Back up all documents, photos, favorites, contacts, and make a full list of all passwords. List all your programs, and important information. Save all information on 2 different external drives, and/or at Mozy on-line storage. Set up a g-mail account and write down the password and check it twice and e-mail list to yourself with passwords etc.
Then re-install operating system.
Open g-mail and retrieve your list.
Takes 1 full day, and you need operating disk and drivers.