Question about Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

DEAR SIR or MADAM. I should like to change the SACRAFIAL ANODE MYSELF. IT is a 130 litre gas fired which is now in the 8th.year. Could U please shoe ME how!!! RAYMOND BUCKLEY 08 9 447 4147 PERTH. It is a RHEEM STELLAR

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,197 Answers

Replacing the rods as they wear out will considerably extend the life of your water heater. The useful life of the rod will depend on your water quality--softened water may eat through an anode rod in as little as six months. If you don't soften your water, check the anode rod every year and replace it if it has corroded down to the core in sections of 6 inches or longer.

  • Turn off the electricity or gas to the heater.
  • Step 2 Turn off the water to the heater, and open a hot water connection for a minute to relieve pressure.
  • Step 3 Spray on WD-40 and loosen the hex nut on top of your water heater; this is the top of the anode rod.
  • Step 4 Remove the old rod. You may have to bend it to get it out of the tank. follow these steps to remove the rod.
  • Shut down the water supply. Open a hot-water faucet on the same water line to relieve pressure within the water heater. If water continues to run, your water is not shut off. Drain a little water from the tank until the level goes down a few inches.
  • Examine the top of the water heater for the top of the anode rod (spud) or connecting hardware. Some water heaters, particularly those with longer warranties, have multiple anodes. Look for the sacrificial, or corroding, anode. It may be under a cap, about halfway in toward the center (not on the outside edge). The anode may be under a pink-top nipple. If you don't see a spud or connector, remove the top of the water heater. (Very occasionally, the anodes are under a sheet-metal cover that has been foamed into place, requiring you to drill through the top---but not far---and poke around with a screwdriver to find the anodes.)
  • Apply penetrating oil generously to the connecting nut or threads of the anode rod, which is hanging vertically from the top of the water heater. Allow the penetrating oil time to work.
  • Loosen the anode carefully with a wrench. Corroded anodes are brittle.
  • Remove the anode. If there isn't enough clearance to withdraw the anode straight up, carefully bend it into a curve while pulling from the water heater.
  • Disconnect the water heater from its plumbing and gas or electric connections if you cannot bend the anode enough to remove it without cutting or breaking. Drain enough additional water from the water heater tank so you can tip it sideways. Remove the anode. (Or, consider pulling the anode out a little at a time, securing its position, cutting above that point, and repeating until the anode has been removed completely.)

  • Step 5 Wrap the threads of the new anode rod with Teflon tape. This will make it easier to remove later. If you have very low clearance over your water heater, buy a flexible anode rod. Insert the rod into the tank and screw it tight.
  • Step 6 Turn the water back on, followed by the electricity or gas.

  • Good luck
    Thank You for using Fixya

    Posted on Jul 12, 2010


    1 Suggested Answer

    • 2 Answers

    SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

    Hi there,
    Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

    Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

    Here's a link to this great service

    Good luck!

    Posted on Jan 02, 2017


    Add Your Answer

    Uploading: 0%


    Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



    Related Questions:

    1 Answer

    I have a Rheemglas 130 litre gas storage system. Does anyone know where the anode is placed as the unit is covered in foam?

    Usually inserted from the top. There is a threaded piece, to which it is either attached, or by which it is held in place. The isolation valve will need to be shut off, or, lacking one of those, shut off the house water main. A tool that applies vibration and torque simultaneously will be needed to free it. ALL WATER IN THE HOME, THAT IS ABOVE THE WATER HEATER, MAY DRAIN SLOWLY THROUGH THE OPENING, WHILE YOU ARE CHANGING IT OUT. Therefore you must have the replacement on hand. If there is visible rust around the nut you will be loosening, there is a chance you will have to replace the heater. Good luck!

    Mar 29, 2017 | Water Heaters

    1 Answer

    How do i fix a powered anode?

    Contact american water heater company
    Check that power anode rod is connected to electric power source.


    If you need further help, I’m available over the phone at

    Aug 13, 2014 | American Water Heater s AHCG3-130T300-3N...

    1 Answer

    Hi sir i by mistake deleted my qeep account and i regrate it please re-open it id is sonnie33.....

    Hi sir/ madam already deleted my qeep account and i regrate it . Please re open it sir/madam my id is .Nf

    May 26, 2013 | Computers & Internet

    1 Answer

    Our 40 gal Rheem gas hot water tank is almost 3 years old. We have a well for water supply and a 2 year old Paterson Iron Remover plus newer water softener. Suddenly 3 weeks ago the hot water developed the...

    I would have to go along with your brother on this one. The aluminum anode rod is by far the cheapest way to go. Other options include extensive filtration,ozone treatment and acid treatment.
    The aluminum anode rod is much cheaper and I would recommend you change it yearly at least. Good luck and thank you.

    Feb 22, 2011 | Rheem Water Heater Anode Rod AP12938

    1 Answer

    Air is coming out but not cool

    dear sir/madam

    i think your air-con have low gas problem so please contact to your service technician for refill gas and further maintenance .

    hope answer the question

    thank you
    please vote!

    Sep 06, 2010 | Kenmore Heating & Cooling

    1 Answer

    Runs but wont cool

    dear sir/madam

    i think your freezer have short gas problem there can be possible any leakage so please contect to your service technician for refill the gas .

    thank you
    please vote!

    Sep 04, 2010 | Magic Chef Freezers

    1 Answer

    No spark 1995 vw golf 1,8 litre

    Dear Madam or Sir,

    please check in the following order:

    - crankshaft position sensor
    - ignition amplifier
    - ignition coil

    Please click HERE for a short manual to check the amplifier.

    Kind regards

    Jun 26, 2010 | 1989 Volkswagen Golf

    1 Answer

    The heater on my dimplex fire appears to be working however i replaced dud bulbs with new bulbs, and they are not working?

    dear sir/madam
    have you checked for the power supply before changing the bulbs,if not please check it then you come back to us we will help you.

    Aug 06, 2009 | Dimplex DS5598 Mid-Size Heater

    3 Answers

    Dear; Sir and Madam

    Dear sir Madam,
    I have a problem with my nokia 3120 handset, My mobile not send ring tone any other mobile. Please suggest an answer to my problem. thankyou

    Apr 03, 2008 | Motorola Mobility L9 Unlocked GSM Cell...

    Not finding what you are looking for?
    Heating & Cooling Logo

    Related Topics:

    61 people viewed this question

    Ask a Question

    Usually answered in minutes!

    Top Heating & Cooling Experts

    Paul Carew

    Level 3 Expert

    3411 Answers


    Level 3 Expert

    83843 Answers

    john h

    Level 3 Expert

    19466 Answers

    Are you a Heating and Cooling Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

    Answer questions

    Manuals & User Guides