My GE microwave, about a year old, doesn't sound like it used to when cooking. Afraid it may burn out something.
I think there may be a cooling fan that is not coming on, as it is a lot quieter than normal
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
There could be food or oil buildup around the door frame which will absorb some of the radiant and microwave energy whilst cooking. Give it all a good clean and see if that helps. If everything else is working properly, it may be a problem with the cooling fan. Microwave ovens have a "stirrer fan" inside the roof or rear of the cooking area to disperse the microwaves and some convection / microwave ovens also have a cooling fan which assists in dissipating heat within the cabinet.
If the microwave oven is 10 years old then it is time to consider a new unit, by your description it is going into cascade failure where different parts have stopped working, the buzzing sound is the magnetron warning you, it is about to fail. The fans job is to keep the magnetron cool while it is running.
if everything works except the heating, it is most likely the mag tube is on its way out.........that is the most common reason for it not too cook.......since the microwave is a GE and it is 3.5 years old, i would say you are better off buying a new microwave, the mag tube starts at around $70.00 and up + the labor it costs too have a service person put it in........around another $60.00
More than likely the magnetron has failed. This could be for a number of reason. Do you use your microwave to heat wheat packs or warm plates? If so, you may have dried the magnetron out (they use the moisture in whatever you're cooking to heat it, and plates/wheat bags have no moisture).
I'd say a trip to your local Microwave repairer could be in order. It could also be the High Voltage Fuse which has failed. Either way a repairer will be able to tell you!
You either have a bad magnetron tube (5 or 10 year parts warranty item through GE Factory Service 1-800-432-2737 or www.geappliances.com) or a shorted high voltage rectifier. I think the light being out is a secondary problem.