Hi there I recently upgraded my subs amp from a JL AUDIO 250/1 to a 500/1 and my problem is at higher volume,my amp goes out then after a few seconds it comes back on,could it be lack of power or bad grounding,cause I also have a JL 300/4 for my mids and highs and no problems with it,any help would be apreciated,I should mention Im running two 12'' 4 ohm kicker comp vr hope that helps
Ok Guy check it out! The JL audio / series like the 500/1, 250/1, or 1000/1 ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO TURN OFF EVER! This due to the intellegent R.I.P.S circuit inside the amp.So like lets stop the speculating! This amp only shut-down in the event of a few external reasons! (outside causes). If none of the lights are indicating on the amp you must troubleshoot other area. I have the same amp and was experiencing the same problem. The number reason for this amp to shut down is due to low voltage anything under 11 volte the amp is acceptable to shut down. Look your wiring DO NOT USE 6 gauge wiring. This caused my problem it worked well for 6 months then start this same thing. I look underhood at the fuse on my hot wire and the FUSE (80A) WAS NOT BROKEN BUT IT WAS MELTED AND DEFORMED FROM THE EXCESSIVE POWER GOING THRU IT. The Deformality caused inadquate power to flow at higher volumes whiched caused the green light to go off. CHANGE YOUR WIRING MAN! YOU WILL BE FINE if this still happens. Then you to take ur amp to the nearest JL dealer to send for repairs its a fix rate of $180 they repair all problem within the amp if any. This is a tough amp a can sustain the abuse under pressure but not improper ohms loads.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has posted more than 50 answers, of which 90% or more were rated as helpful.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: My amp cuts out at higher volume
This happens to me all the time during the warm months. The problem is likely that the amplifier is overheating because of location. If not properly ventilated, the amplifier will shut off before damage occurs. Is it located under a seat or other area where sufficient air flow is lacking? I solved this problem by moving my amplifier from under a seat to the trunk area.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Problem could be that you need to upgrade your battery, do the "big 3" wiring by a professional. Get a kinetic 1200 or bigger to replace your stock battery, drive your car for 5 or 10 miles, and watch your amp not shut down. People just dont do the big 3, and they think their stock lead acid will hold 13 volts after the power is shut off. LOL. KINETIC.
Hello, It sounds like you may have a problem with one of your subs. If this problem was not happening before that's what I would suspect. You need to check the ohms of both subs seperately, make sure you don't have a half blown sub. Second you need to test the voltage going into the amp while playing at a decent volume to see if there is a major drop in voltage. Also, check your ground. You'd be surprised at the many people who bring there cars to my shop with similar problems and turns out the ground was bad or loose. I would doubt there is something wrong internaly with your amp. The problem lies in the wiring or speakers. As you said it only started doing this after 3 or 4 months after it was installed. It's cutting off at high volumes cause it can't draw the power it needs at the higher volume, so make sure you check all your wiring good. Let me know what you find, I would like to be able to help you more if for some reason you can't figure it out. I own a shop and also do amplifire repair. Hope this helps.
It is stable only to 1.5 ohms so your best choice would be the 15.4 with dual 4ohm voice coils. In parallel, this would offer a 2ohm impedance. The 15.2 could only be wired for either a 1ohm load (too low) or a 4ohm load (less power).
Check the wires for a lose connection or corrosion. You may need a capacitor.
Basically, at low power the amplifier
is not asking for a lot of power from the electrical system to power
your sub woofer. For lack of a better term and probably the best way to
explain it is. It uses up all the power in the wires leading to it at a
high volume, and has to wait for more. Kind of like when someone squeezes a garden hose
when your trying to use it. That would be the high volume, starving the
amplifier. The capacitor stores power in it to power the amp at high
volume. 2 farads would probably be bulletproof on a single amplifier
system, but 1 farad should work well enough. Or seek help from an
expert on exactly what size capacitor you should use. If you find
yourself saying: My amp cuts out.
If this assisted in solving your problem, please take the time to rate it. Thank you.
if its cutting off and right back on then check your ground and your power wire makes sure both are connected good and none of your fuse's are blown, either that or you got a wire hooked up backwards in the sub.. but my guess is that the sub is hooked up wrong... that sub should be hooked up in a series or in parallel,
ok if your running just one speaker, it should be hooked up like this and 2 speakers are a different way...
this is parallel :pos to pos , neg to neg, then one wire coming from pos on sub to pos on amp then neg on sub to neg on amp but bridge the amp on your amp should be 2 pos and 2 neg in two different channels take the pos off the sub into the pos on 1 channel and then the neg from sub to the neg on the other channel,
this is series : on the sub it will go pos to neg then the other neg and pos will go to the amp, but make sure the pos and neg r on different sides of the sub, dont hook them both to the same coil
if your need more help give me your email and ill send you a pic of how to do it...
sounds like they have your sub amp in mono but they put the speakers in series which totally cancels the benefit of running your amp in mono. you will probably be happier if you just hook the left speaker to left plus and minus and the right to right plus and minus. Cuz even though subs aren't directional they do pass some higher frequencies that are and that dilutes the stereo effect.
hi, have you figured out whats wrong with ur amp ...i have the same amp ....and as soon as i finished the connections ...and connect the remote on wire,,, the amp goes on ...making a ticking sound with the green light blinking and the red light staying solid on ...whats the problem please help ....how can i fix this ......my amp is a jl e6450 ....im using a panasonic cd player with a built in amp ....and thats the cd player im trying to connect to the jl amp ...please HELP