Question about Plumbing

1 Answer

Easy way to connect Pex piping to shut off valve

I had a plumber who roughed in a pool house for me and used Pex piping. Is there an easy way to attach shut off valves to the pex so we can install a toilet and a couple of sinks/ I have a customer who is really on my case because she has company coming in this weekend. My other plumber is no where to be found. Please help!! Ken

Posted by on

  • KEN CHESHIER Jul 09, 2010

    Thanks for your excellent reply!



1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 10,865 Answers

Hi Ken. Yes you can add shut off valves to PEX. Go to this link to read and see exactly how it is done and what is needed to do the job. J.

Posted on Jul 09, 2010


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How do I set up the plumbing to convert a single bathroom sink to a double sink?

hot and cold supply is easy. You need to solder in a copper T-piece, and to that add a short length of copper pipe with an isolation valve and then connect that to a flexible braided pipe to the faucet.

Waste water not quite so easy. Have both P-traps fall to a cross pipe that goes to your existing waste.

A plumber could do the job in an hour and a half.

Oct 29, 2015 | Plumbing

1 Answer

Moen shower control leak

Frankly that DOES NOT sound like a valve leak...

... but the alternative of taking the wall apart is pretty daunting.

The cartridge seems futile to me... but I easily done
done at small expense...

While you are at the PLUMBERS SUPPLY...
Pick up some of those SHARK-BITE couplers...
(see video at bottom).

They make a job like your INCREDIBLY painless...
ALSO REMEMBER THERE are two sides to every wall...

Do pay attention... these work on COPPER, PVC AND PEX...!!

You don't always have to BREAK INTO the wall
from the FROM THE MOST expensive side...

Hope this helps...

youtube video
How to use Sharkbite Plumbing

SharkBite U514LFA 1 2 Inch End Cap Plumbing Fittings for Residential and...

SharkBite U248LFA 90 Degree Lead Free Push to Connect Elbow 1 2 Inch Pipe...

Carnac the Magnificent

Jun 15, 2017 | Moen Home

1 Answer

Has Leaking noise very audible on hotwater line but no flood in the house or outside the house, and the water meter records unusually high. Three certified plumbers checked the house but could not find...

First, find out if you have a leak.
Turn off all water faucets inside and outside.
Record water meter register with camera.
Wait several hours.
Record water meter register again, and compare photos.
If you have a leak, contact city water department and report leak so bill can possibly be adjusted.
Ask city water department what they suggest.

If you had certified plumbers look at problem, it would be a guessing game for internet plumber to start listing things.

My guess would be crossover on single-handled faucet that runs the hot water into cold pipe that is filling the swimming pool that is leaking. But you might not have a swimming pool.

Another guess would be a leaking TP valve that drains directly into a sewer vent line.
But certainly the plumber checked the TP valve.

Add a comment and say how the problem was solved.

Sep 24, 2011 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

We have removed our dishwasher, we are not replacing it. The question I have is...."How do you cap of or plug up the old waterline that goes to the dishwasher?"

It all depends on what material your water line is made of and where you want to shut the water off at.

Under the dishwasher there is a threaded connection from the water line to the dishwasher and there is typically no isolation valve located there. You will have to follow the supply line back to where it ties in, typically it is feed from the kitchen sink water supply. Hopefully the plumber who installed the lines provided a local shut off valve under the sink, otherwise you will have to shut the water off at the main house supply.

Here is a couple of ways to cap the line off.

Copper - You can get a cap and solder it on, make sure there is no water in the line because it will not heat up enough for the solder to penetrate the joint. Use flux and lead free solder on the copper lines. When you are ready to replace, just turn the water off, cut the cap off, and install the necessary fittings to connect the dishwasher. If I was going to do this, I would install a valve and a braided stainless steel line for the dishwasher. This makes it a snap to reinstall. Any hardware store can supply these parts.

Plastic (PVC/CPCV) - same as above but use the proper cement rated for the type of plastic pipe.

PEX - You can buy a plug and a clamp ring, but you will need the proper crimping tool.

If you have a threaded connection, just go to the hardware store and buy a threaded cap.

If you need specific information, please update your question with more details, because I am just speculating what you have.

Apr 18, 2011 | Dishwashers

1 Answer

I have a leak coming from the "cold" line right at the valve joint. There is signifigant calcuim build up on the pipe from the valve to the connection of the water heater, (maybe 8 inch of pipe)...

Very simple - call a Plumber. He will fix your plumbing problem, and any foreseen potential problems related to your water leak. He may also suggest replacing your 6 year old water heater. Of course ..... for a professional cost.
However, depending on your time, skills, proper tools, patience and luck, it's easy enough to perform yourself:
1. Switch off the water heater Breakers (220v) in your service panel.
2. Turn off the water supply to the water heater.
3. Attach a water hose to the drain faucet. ( a good time to flush sediment -calcium deposits)
4. Open a hot water faucet to vent (above the level of the water heater drain - kitchen sink)
5. Remove the suspected leak components. (a union connection is a good place to start)
6. Install New pipes -3 wrap all male threaded ends with teflon Tap. Tighten securely - using 2 wrenches.
NOTE: Before refilling - you can turn on the water heater supply valve for a few minutes, to flush out any lingering calcium debris.
7. Shut off drain valve - remove hose. Shut off venting hot water faucet.
8. Turn on water supply valve to fill water heater.
9. Open a hot water faucet to relieve air pressure while filling - preferably the bath tub faucet, it doesn't have a screen that might clog.
10. When water flows without air - shut off tub faucet.
11. Look for leaks.
12. Switch the water heater Breakers on.
Note: 50 gallons should take an hour or more to heat up. Turn on a hot water valve momentarily within this heat up time to relieve thermal expansion. ( the PT valve on your water heater will perform this task if pressures/temperature exceed new water heater tolerances - it's just a precaution to introduce these fluctuating pressures on your fragile 6 year old unit)

These are just basic instructions - assuming you fill in the common sense and work safe steps.
Good Luck - The Skill will only come after trying.

Mar 05, 2011 | Rheem 50 GAL ELEC TALL Water Heater 6YR SC...

1 Answer

The plumber installed shower diverter and when the tap is running so is the shower. He did not install with copper pipes, but now says there doesn't have to be. He has thrown out the insturction and...

Copper pipe is not required for correct fucntioning of the diverter valve. Some diverter valves are not 100% shut off of tub faucet.... But it should mostly shut off. I suggest that debris may have damaged the rubber parts of the diverter, take it apart and inspect.

In my opinion PEX (which is plactic, multiple layer pipe) is much better than copper. Copper reacts with chemicals in the water, in some areas of the world....

You did not mention what BRAND, or model controls you have installed, but having the warranty sheet missing shoud not harm you getting what you need, and it cannot be a big deal, as there is little to a diverter valve...

Feb 26, 2011 | Home

1 Answer

I am replacing my old 400,000 btu natural gas pool heater with a Hayward 250FDN, which will be adequate because I plan only to heat the spa, not the whole in-ground pool. My question is how much of the...

This should be an easy installation. PVC is easy to install as stated above. Electrical, just follow the directions in the installation manual. As far as the gas line goes, you CAN use a flex line in place of the black gas piping for the 2 feet BUT make sure it is adequate for the amouont of BTUs you will be running. ALL flex-gas pipe has a rating on the side of that will indicate the maximum amount of BTUs that can run through the pipe. The highest rated flex Ive seen @ 2 feet is for 297,000 BTUs. You should be fine at 250000. Chances are the local hardware store will not have this good flex pipe though. You will have to goto a local HVAC store to aquire it.

Feb 07, 2011 | Hayward 250fdn Low Nox Nat Gas Swimming...

1 Answer

Am replacing hotwater baseboard with panel radiators..want to use pex with a mnifold. any diagrams?

Personally I have a problem using Pex with hot water, especially where recirculation is involved. I do have hot and cold Pex lines in my house for two bath tubs, but also have created access on the other sides of the walls in case of problems.

I would make a manifold of copper and solder each joint well with a Maxx gas torch.

Oct 22, 2009 | Plumbing

1 Answer

The rough plate goes on inside or outside of green board? Also can u use pex for the downspout for tub it seems to restrict flow and sends water to the shower...

I do not recommend pex for the downspout as pex is flexible and the tub spout needs to screw on or attach to a solid pipe. I recommend copper but you can use galvanized piping. As far as the rough-in plate it goes through the greenboard as you will have a whole the size of the plate and depending on the finish you are attaching to the greenboard.... there is information on the plate as to the depth that needs to protrude from the greenboard to facilitate the trim. If you have any questions just ask. THX

Aug 06, 2009 | Moen & One Handle Tub & Shower Faucet

Not finding what you are looking for?
Plumbing Logo

Related Topics:

1,291 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Plumbing Experts

Donni Steen

Level 3 Expert

659 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

15628 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

34711 Answers

Are you a Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides