Question about Poulan Pro PP3816AV 38 Cc 16" Anti - Vib Chainsaw
It sounds like a bad oil pump or worm gear; this should help
Oil System Plugged:
1. Remove the clutch cover, bar, and chain, clean the bar groove, any holes and passages on the rear of the bar (both sides, consider rotating the bar), if equipped with a sprocket nose ensure it rotates easily at least one complete revolution.
• Clean the saw oiler hole and channel. Insert a blunted, hooked piece of wire through the oil filler hole and pull the hose in the oil tank out.
• Pay attention to the screen or filter on the free end (clean or replace, difficult to determine serviceability).
• Start the saw and see if it oils when revved up (oozes down side of saw).
• If yes reassemble your saw. If no, continue with 2.
2. Work your way through the linkage (use IPL to identify components and locations) cleaning and replacing any defective parts as you go.
• Carefully check the hoses for cracks especially at bends and connections.
• If equipped with an oil pump it is usually behind the clutch (99.9% of clutches have a left handed thread; tighten it to remove it).
• Please make extensive notes & some digital pictures will help during reassembly.
3. If it does not oil on completion of 1 it is most likely a bad oiler or worm gear (see IPL for the location).
The IPL (exploded parts list) for your saw is the only detail for the oil system and it is sketchy at best. Oiler components and part numbers are listed but may be on different illustrations. They are also beneficial with disassembly/reassembly:
The dash number of your serial number is the type.
PP3816AV - 2004
If you have more questions or need additional help please reply below and I will get back to you. HTH & Good Luck.
Thank You for using FixYa.
Posted on Jul 08, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 22, 2011 | Poulan Pro Chain Saw 46cc 20"
Aug 21, 2011 | Poulan Pro Chain Saw 46cc 20"
Jul 19, 2010 | Poulan Pro 16-Inch 38 cc Anti-Vibration...
May 23, 2010 | Poulan Pro 16-Inch 38 cc Anti-Vibration...
Apr 09, 2010 | Poulan ES350 16" Chain Saw
Apr 04, 2010 | Poulan Pro 16-Inch 38 cc Anti-Vibration...
Aug 29, 2009 | Poulan Pro 16-Inch 38 cc Anti-Vibration...
Dec 31, 2008 | Poulan Pro Chain Saw 46cc 20"
Jan 27, 2009 | Poulan Pro PP3816AV 38 Cc 16" Anti - Vib...
162 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: