An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: how to get to DOS
Well, you've already taken the the first step by getting rid of your crazy ex. So, do you just want to wipe your hard drive and reinstall your operating system? If so, what operating system would that be and do you have the cd?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
to format hard drive you either have a utility disk that will let you log into DOS and then run Format command. Or, if you have an operating disk like Windows(?), where you insert it and when it tries to install it will ask you to format hard drive? you allow this to run until it has reformatted hard drive. THis will put your version of Windows on the pc hard drive and have wiped whatever else was on the drive before.
if you just want a wipe of drive take it out of PC chasis and run a magnet all over it. or put it in another pc drive bay and run dos Format command on that drive letter (E:) or whatever letter is assigned to it.
more info about what or why you want to do something helps us to give you the best answer(solution) to your questions.
Swapping the hard drive from the Dell into the Gateway will not work because the Dell hard drive has been installed with Dell specific drivers and configurations. When you install the Dell hard drive into the Gateway you need to wipe the hard drive and install a fresh copy Windows XP onto this hard drive and the Gateway device drivers etc.
Hi I have a gateway tower about 7-9 years old. could you tell me how much a 60- 80 gig harddrive will cost and where I could get such an animal? I need to run a couple of programs and I don't have enough room.
Generally there is only one of two ways to resolve this. Depending on the severity of the corruption.
1) If the hard drive can not be repairable - purchase another hard drive and if possible install the operating system and re-install all the software programs onto your new hard drive. The corrupted hard drive, depending if you have important data to recover, you may want to take it to a local pc repair shop and see if they can recover your data.
2) See if the hard drive is repairable - you can download a gateway scan (GWScan5.12) from theere website and follow the simple instructions to copy the file onto a floppy diskette (will need to do this on another pc). Then run the GWScan, go thru an extensive hard drive test and wait for a result. At some cases, it may be able to repair your hard drive (again, depending on the severity of corruption). The following is the link to download the GWScan5.12 http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21280&dscr=GWSCAN%205.12&uid=20276003
take the hard drive out of the tower and hold it about a inch off the floor drop it flat . make sure that you drop it on a flat area like the kitchen floor . do that and see if that works, if it doesnt then replace the hard drive
I'm not sure if you hope to rescue your files and documents but a system restore disk won't do this, it will wipe you hard disk and return it to factory default. therefore you could just start again with any copy of windows XP. You'll need driver disks but you can download them from the gateway website. you can get an XP disk cheaply on ebay.