Question about GE EMO3000 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The microwave looks like it is shorting out where the light inside the microwave is. Also it sounds like something is crackling when you turn it on. Sometimes it would smell like it was burning. Help, Diane

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 2,468 Answers

Sounds like the magnetron tube is starting to draw excessive current and arcing over to ground, or the high voltage cap is starting to leak thru and short-out.608-214-5632 or e-mail:applianceservice24_7@yahoo.com

Posted on Jul 05, 2010

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

WHEN I USED MICROWAVE HAD BURNING SMELL & BLACK SOOT APPEARED. STILL HAVE POWER BUT DOESN'T COOK


Just had the same problem. It was an electrical short and the repairman said that it could have burned the kitchen wall and been a catastrophy. Get rid of it immediately!

Mar 02, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Our Kenmore microwave oven recently stopped heating. The lights, turning plate and controls all work but with no cooking is occurring. The last time I attempted to heat something up I heard a cracking...


The most likely cause is a bad magnetron, "heats food" the other two possibilities are the high voltage capacitor and diode. The cost to repair will a approach a new microwave oven.

Apr 08, 2011 | Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

The unit makes a loud noise that sounds like lighting hitting something. Could this be the fuse?


no this is the magnetron do not plug the unit in or turn the unit on or you will be seeing alot more then pretty lights this has become a fire hazard and it would be up to you on replaceing the magnetron in your unit preferably consider the cost of the unit compared to the cost of the magnetron they usually run over 100.00 just for the piece if you have any further questions message me back and please remember to rank how this opinion has helped it allows me to help others in similar situations Thanks Rick

Mar 25, 2011 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Rattling, crackling type noise just started and is constant when microwave is running.


A couple of months ago my microwave started making crackling, rattling and grinding sounds everytime i used it and i thought it was going to break down. It turned out one of my children must have spillled or overflowed something with a clear liquid because the micro did not look dirty but there was a crunchy substance under the wheels of the turntable. Once i cleaned this up totally the noises all went away.

Jan 19, 2011 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

Crackling noise, like something is shorting out, came from GE Spacemaker XL1800 JVM1850WF001. I immediately turned it off but I don't know where to start to figure out the problem.


If the interior is dirty or the wave guide dirty or worn out it can cause this. The wave guide is on the interior and looks like a piece of stiff paper. Clean it carefully as it's delicate.

Dec 08, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

After a few seconds my microwave makes a crackling


check for scraps of foil, wire ties any type of metal or tin,or aluminumif not any of that, ur looking at a componet problem

May 23, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Turned microwave on this morning ,sudden crackle,then nothing.


Sounds like something has shorted out-blown. Unless it is a very expensive model it won't be worth fixing and is not something you should attempt yourself anyway. If under guarantee then get it repaired via the guarantee arrangements. No harm in checking the plug is wired properly but as the light and timer are working it is very doubtful it is a connection problem. I think you need to buy a new microwave!

Oct 03, 2009 | Electrolux EMS2487X Convection Microwave...

1 Answer

Crackling sound in microwave vent when power is off


By "powered off" can I assume you mean that it is plugged in and at idle, not cooking, just showing the clock?

If so, I'd say your control board is failing.

If my assumption is wrong, please write back with more details.

We regularly repair these control units for customers nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in about a week with a one-year guarantee.

Feel free to contact me directly (and please remind me of your model number) for more information & help.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller
prototech@usa.net
http://www.microwavedisplay.com

Nov 02, 2008 | GE JEM25 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Crackling/sizzling sound


If you're hearing a crackling noise and don't see any sparks, you may have a magnetron that is arcing inside the waveguide. Once this arcing occurs, in some cases, replacing the magnetron may not be enough to fix the problem. There was also a noted problem with some models where the stirrer motor shaft inside the waveguide would arc when the magnetron was energized. This too, caused damage inside the waveguide. If the internal walls of the waveguide become damaged it cannot be repaired and the unit must be scrapped. The waveguide has a special coating to help propagate waves of RF energy. If the walls are damaged due to arcing this special coating gets burned off and will continue to arc even if a new magnetron is installed. This will eventually lead to magnetron failure and potentially cause a fire inside the oven. I would think seriously about looking into another unit if any of this may be occurring in your oven. Better to play it safe, especially with small children. I hope you find this advice helpful. PS A new magnetron can run as high as $250.

Jul 09, 2007 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

271 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1167 Answers

 Larry
Larry

Level 2 Expert

115 Answers

Shekar Avadhani

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...